Lion falls into open well, dies
Times of India By Himanshu Kaushik
A five-year-old lion was found dead in an open well in a farm on Tuesday at Dasada village in Bhesan taluka of Junagadh district. Range forest officer Dipak Pandya said the lion's carcass has been fished out and sent for postmortem. The incident occurred at least 25 km from Junagadh when two lions came to the area on Saturday night, according to forest department sources. The lions had also attacked some animals in the area. It seems one of the lions fell into the well while jumping over the well, according to beat guards. Pandya said there was no parapet wall around the well.
Villagers informed the forest department on finding a lion in the well. Forest department rushed a team to the spot. A campaign is on for the past four years in the region aski-ng people to build parapet walls around the open wells. They ha-ve been advised to at least have a wired border around it. The campaign had achieved some success in this regard, forest department sources said.
- ► 2018 (148)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- Leopards, bears' population rise by 18.62%, 8.41%
- More leopards moving in to human neighbourhoods
- Female lion cub falls into forest well; dies
- Foresters play mother to leopard cubs
- Census puts leopards at 1,150, sloth bears at 280
- Pride forgives teen lion's fling, takes her back
- POINTLESS PANGA WITH PANGOLIN
- Lion falls into open well, dies
- Mobile surveillance of lions outside Gir
- WWF vehicles to help in patrolling
- Gir documentary finds place in LA fest
- Gujarat Forest Department bans setting up new hote...
- Cats show their camera-shy side
- Expert backs shifting of Gir lions to Kuno in MP
- Leopard numbers up 15-20%
- Wild fire: Activists fear two lion cubs missing, f...
- Foresters to catch big cats on camera
- Leopard census begins in state
- Nirma Cement plant not viable ecologically, says p...
- No hotels within 2km of Gir sanctuary
- Raids continue on stone quarries in Junagadh
- Lioness dies of snake-bite at Gir sanctuary
- Eco-sensitive zones around 4 Guj sanctuaries get nod
- Wildlife board members question nod to Girnar rope...
- Stupa from Mauryan era found in Gir sanctuary
- lion cubs born at Rampara Vidi, foresters jubilant
- Leopard census to start from May 16
- Is competition with livestock detrimental for nati...
- Ramesh seeks archaeological survey of Gujarat forest
- ▼ May 2011 (29)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)