Lions' roar to echo in Porbandar's Barda Sanctuary
DNA By Paras K Jha & Roxy Gagdekar
Gujarat's 'pride' was so far limited to Gir alone, but if the plans work as per design, the big cats' roar will now echo loud and clear in Porbandar's Barda Sanctuary too from this August.
As many as eight Asiatic lions of Gir will make the sanctuary their home by August, 2012 as the state forest department has decided to shift four pairs of lions in the newly-developed gene pool centre in Barda Forest around 160 km away from Gir.
The principal secretary, state environment and forest department, SK Nanda said, "We will be shifting lions from Gir to Barda Sanctuary very soon. It is part of our gene pool programme for making the breed genetically very strong and to develop genetic diversity amongst big cats."
Confirming the developments additional chief conservator of forest, HS Singh said, "We are already having gene pool programme in Rampara vidi near Wankaner of Rajkot district. We have been successful in lion conservation programme, as three cubs have been born at Rampara vidi. Now, we will be shifting four pairs of lions to Barda Sanctuary post-monsoon, by August."
Singh further said that the present hot weather is not conducive for shifting the cats to a new location. "Lions find it extremely difficult to adjust to new environment. Therefore, when weather conditions become more favorable for lions post-monsoon season, we will shift them," he said.
Member of National Board for Wildlife in India, Divyabhanusinh Chavada said he is very happy that the lions have been moved to Barda Wildlife Sanctuary. "This is very good, but what's next? The lions are happily multiplying. Today, they are 411, tomorrow they'll be 500. Where will they go next? Gujarat government needs to conserve their traditional corridor. The land needs to be immediately acquired and conserved," he said.
The forest department, which has distributed the lion families in different grids, will ensure that those shifted to Barda have different family genes. "It is set process of selecting the animals for gene-pool conservation programme. We will be shifting lions and lionesses having different family genes for the breeding. So the genetic diversity can be maintained. Further, we will be picking lions who barge into human habitat often for shifting to the new place," said Singh.
To feed these lions, a prey base has also been developed in Barda Sanctuary. "There has been a breeding centre for Sambar deer (Rusa Unicolor) at Killeshwar temple in Barda Sanctuary. This place was the forest reserve of erstwhile king Jamsaheb of Jamnagar."
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- Gunshots silence lion’s roar in Mityala
- Lion cub fall into water-tank save
- Leopard makes Dhari his home
- Gir Forest Lions' Survival And The Chance To Roam ...
- Saving lions: Locals told to barricade open wells ...
- Farmers told to barricade wells on Gir periphery
- Lion rescued from open well
- Two lions punisher for human folly
- Lion rescued from open well at Ningada village in ...
- Lion in matting kills cub at Shemardi village
- Over 8,000 trees in protected area to be axed
- Gujarat activists take up cudgels to save 5,000 tr...
- Gir Forest Lions' Survival And The Chance To Roam ...
- March-April 07 Poaching Incidence
- Poachers back to hunt Gujrat pride?
- Axe to fall on 4,800 trees for national highway pr...
- 5,000 trees fall out with govt for obstructing its...
- Leopard kills old woman
- Lions kill two cows
- Wildlife action plan is need of the hour
- Lion and leopard killed seven people in Amreli
- જંગલમાં ‘સિંહદર્શન’ કરતા અમદાવાદનાં આઠ શખ્સો દંડાય...
- One lac help to child girl family
- Leopard that killed old woman at Karamdadi, caught...
- Leopard attacks two brothers near Hasnapur Dam in ...
- Four leopards caught in one night near Veraval
- Leopard dies in Train accident near Shapur in Gir ...
- Lion tears apart man near Jafrabad
- Lioness in mating kills a man; disturbed by stone ...
- Lions, cheetahs to share forest land in MP? SC wil...
- Mating lion attacks Maldhari
- Equipped to shift Gir lions: MP govt to SC
- Modi, Chauhan in lion fight in SC
- Lion in mating attacks youth at Undardi Ness near ...
- MP pitches hard for shifting Asiatic lions from Gu...
- MP, Gujarat spar in SC over translocation of lions...
- Lovelorn lion kills cub
- Leopard attack at Chivad village near Dhari
- Fun Facts About Lions
- Gujarat offers 500 hectare of land in Junagadh for...
- Gujarat's 2nd ultra mega power plant to come up in...
- Carcass of lion cub found in Amreli
- Three wild animal drown in well dead
- Devaliya lion safari park to be pollution-free
- Male lion, disturbed when matting,kills cub
- Hyana killed on road accident on Una – Gir Gadhda ...
- Un-necessary radio chollar makes lioness restless;...
- Fire endangers over 25 lions in Amreli grassland
- Major fire in lion’s abode in Amreli
- Three lions kill a cow at Motha village near Una
- Forest fire at Liliya Kankranch controlled early m...
- Leapord child meet in Mahuva
- Fire in Kankrach (Greater Gir)
- Which is 12 Gir lions habitat
- Cheetahs help Gujarat govt plead lion case in SC
- Gujarat opposes shifting of Gir lions to Madhya Pr...
- Will it be lions or cheetahs that will roam Kuno-P...
- Lions’ roar to echo in Porbandar's Barda Sanctuary...
- From Aug, Gir lions will roar in Porbandar too
- Nine leopards killed in 5 years
- Don’t shift Gir lions to MP: Gujarat to SC
- ‘MP needs cheetahs from S Africa, not lions from G...
- Gujarat declines to shift its Asiatic lions to Mad...
- Growing population: Leopards struggle in lions’ de...
- Gir wild cats mauled 10 to death in a year
- Leopard show in madhavpur jungle
- Animals on fast in Junagadh zoo
- Akhilesh Yadav's native district to get its 'Lion ...
- Proposed 'Lion Safari' in Akhilesh's native distri...
- ▼ April 2012 (69)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)