Gujarat offers 500 hectare of land in Junagadh for second UMPP
Economictime By Mitul Thakker
The government of Gujarat has identified and agreed to allocate 500 hectare of land for second 4,000 mw ultra mega power project (UMPP) in the state. After exploring Jamnagar and Kutch districts in past couple of years, the Central Electricity Authority (CEA) zeroed in on Lodhva village in Junagadh district, better known for Asiatic lions and Geer forest.
On Thursday, a four-member team including CEA chief engineer MS Puri and representatives from Power Finance Corporation and a consulting firm held meeting with government of Gujarat officials in Gandhinagar.
Early this year, Tata Power already commissioned its first imported coal fired 800 mw unit of its UMPP at Mundra. Proposed project in Junagadh district will be the second UMPP in the state. Junagadh UMPP too will be based on imported coal. Contracts for UMPP at Sasan, Tilaiyya and Krishnapatnam have been awarded to Anil Ambani led Reliance Power. However, Reliance Power is yet to progress as per the original plans.
"Only Gujarat has been able to facilitate UMPP commissioning successfully in entire India. And CEA wants to set up yet another UMPP in a bid to achieve its 12 th Five Year Plan targets. We will take some three months before making final offer to the CEA," principal secretary for energy and petrochemicals of government of Gujarat DJ Pandian told ET. Commenting on Gujarat becoming lead buyer for yet another UMPP, Pandian said, "Gujarat has sufficient power generation capacity of 13,500 mw and we are expected to achieve 18,000 mw more in next couple of years. We will opt for becoming a lead buyer only if the tariff is attractive."
It may be mentioned here that Gujarat will avail 1,900 mw of power from Tata once Mundra UMPP becomes fully operational. Tata that was supply power for Rs 2.26 to beneficiary states is seeking escalation of Re 1 following the change in coal price regime in Indonesia. The government of Gujarat is opposing Tata' move.
A top government official with the department of energy said, "Originally, CEA wanted 648 hectare of land for the project. However, we have identified 490-500 hectare of land of which 20% is under private ownership. We have assured CEA team to assist the developers in getting right of use and right of way among other approvals." He added that the CEA has already conducted majority of the studies and it will invite bids once government of Gujarat acquires and allocates the land.
- ► 2017 (112)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- Gunshots silence lion’s roar in Mityala
- Lion cub fall into water-tank save
- Leopard makes Dhari his home
- Gir Forest Lions' Survival And The Chance To Roam ...
- Saving lions: Locals told to barricade open wells ...
- Farmers told to barricade wells on Gir periphery
- Lion rescued from open well
- Two lions punisher for human folly
- Lion rescued from open well at Ningada village in ...
- Lion in matting kills cub at Shemardi village
- Over 8,000 trees in protected area to be axed
- Gujarat activists take up cudgels to save 5,000 tr...
- Gir Forest Lions' Survival And The Chance To Roam ...
- March-April 07 Poaching Incidence
- Poachers back to hunt Gujrat pride?
- Axe to fall on 4,800 trees for national highway pr...
- 5,000 trees fall out with govt for obstructing its...
- Leopard kills old woman
- Lions kill two cows
- Wildlife action plan is need of the hour
- Lion and leopard killed seven people in Amreli
- જંગલમાં ‘સિંહદર્શન’ કરતા અમદાવાદનાં આઠ શખ્સો દંડાય...
- One lac help to child girl family
- Leopard that killed old woman at Karamdadi, caught...
- Leopard attacks two brothers near Hasnapur Dam in ...
- Four leopards caught in one night near Veraval
- Leopard dies in Train accident near Shapur in Gir ...
- Lion tears apart man near Jafrabad
- Lioness in mating kills a man; disturbed by stone ...
- Lions, cheetahs to share forest land in MP? SC wil...
- Mating lion attacks Maldhari
- Equipped to shift Gir lions: MP govt to SC
- Modi, Chauhan in lion fight in SC
- Lion in mating attacks youth at Undardi Ness near ...
- MP pitches hard for shifting Asiatic lions from Gu...
- MP, Gujarat spar in SC over translocation of lions...
- Lovelorn lion kills cub
- Leopard attack at Chivad village near Dhari
- Fun Facts About Lions
- Gujarat offers 500 hectare of land in Junagadh for...
- Gujarat's 2nd ultra mega power plant to come up in...
- Carcass of lion cub found in Amreli
- Three wild animal drown in well dead
- Devaliya lion safari park to be pollution-free
- Male lion, disturbed when matting,kills cub
- Hyana killed on road accident on Una – Gir Gadhda ...
- Un-necessary radio chollar makes lioness restless;...
- Fire endangers over 25 lions in Amreli grassland
- Major fire in lion’s abode in Amreli
- Three lions kill a cow at Motha village near Una
- Forest fire at Liliya Kankranch controlled early m...
- Leapord child meet in Mahuva
- Fire in Kankrach (Greater Gir)
- Which is 12 Gir lions habitat
- Cheetahs help Gujarat govt plead lion case in SC
- Gujarat opposes shifting of Gir lions to Madhya Pr...
- Will it be lions or cheetahs that will roam Kuno-P...
- Lions’ roar to echo in Porbandar's Barda Sanctuary...
- From Aug, Gir lions will roar in Porbandar too
- Nine leopards killed in 5 years
- Don’t shift Gir lions to MP: Gujarat to SC
- ‘MP needs cheetahs from S Africa, not lions from G...
- Gujarat declines to shift its Asiatic lions to Mad...
- Growing population: Leopards struggle in lions’ de...
- Gir wild cats mauled 10 to death in a year
- Leopard show in madhavpur jungle
- Animals on fast in Junagadh zoo
- Akhilesh Yadav's native district to get its 'Lion ...
- Proposed 'Lion Safari' in Akhilesh's native distri...
- ▼ April 2012 (69)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)