Fire endangers over 25 lions in Amreli grassland
The Indian Express
As many as 28 Asiatic lions, including two one-month-old cubs, are feared to be in danger after a major fire broke out in a grassland in the periphery of Gir Wildlife Sanctuary near Krakach village in Liliya taluka of Amreli district.
The fire reported on Saturday, which is third such incident within a month in the same area, has gutted over 2,000 bigha land overnight. However, no update on the situation of the big cats was available as a field survey began only on Sunday.
"Nothing can be said about the situation of the lions," said Deputy Forest Officer J K Makwana adding, "Teams have been sent to conduct a survey and their report is awaited."
Wildlife activists, who reportedly rushed to the spot after the fire broke, have expressed fear. "We could hear roars (of lions) till early hours of Sunday. The fire was reported on Saturday afternoon and it continued till this morning. While the adult lions might have run away, the cubs are too small to run," said Manoj Joshi, a resident of Liliya and member of Gir Nature Club — the lone NGO working for protection and preservation of Asiatic lions in the region.
"This is the third fire incident in a month's time. But this time it is a major one," said GNC president Bhikhu Jethava.
Most such incidents are reported from grasslands near Krakrach, Tulshishyam, Mitiyana and Ambalia villages with the onset of summer every year. These grasslands are home to over 100 lions.
According to Jethava, frequent incidents of fire would force prides of lions living in Krakrach vidi (grassland) to find shelter elsewhere, which will only take them further away from their natural habitat in GWS. "Dispersion due to lack of space and food has brought them all the way to Krakrach, and fire incidents will push them further away," he added.
Makawana, meanwhile, blamed local farmers for the recent incidents. "Farmers often set on fire unwanted grass (in their fields) and this fire spreads to the vidi," he said.
The official added the department would now launch an awareness drive for the farmers on the issues and how to avoid such incidents.
But farmers point the fingers at the department, which maintains these grasslands. They allege that sometimes department staffers set these grasslands on fire to suppress the figures of sold grass.
Activists, on the other hand, alleged that considering such incidents are reported every year, they had written to the forest department in February to take some preventive measures, but in vain.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- Gunshots silence lion’s roar in Mityala
- Lion cub fall into water-tank save
- Leopard makes Dhari his home
- Gir Forest Lions' Survival And The Chance To Roam ...
- Saving lions: Locals told to barricade open wells ...
- Farmers told to barricade wells on Gir periphery
- Lion rescued from open well
- Two lions punisher for human folly
- Lion rescued from open well at Ningada village in ...
- Lion in matting kills cub at Shemardi village
- Over 8,000 trees in protected area to be axed
- Gujarat activists take up cudgels to save 5,000 tr...
- Gir Forest Lions' Survival And The Chance To Roam ...
- March-April 07 Poaching Incidence
- Poachers back to hunt Gujrat pride?
- Axe to fall on 4,800 trees for national highway pr...
- 5,000 trees fall out with govt for obstructing its...
- Leopard kills old woman
- Lions kill two cows
- Wildlife action plan is need of the hour
- Lion and leopard killed seven people in Amreli
- જંગલમાં ‘સિંહદર્શન’ કરતા અમદાવાદનાં આઠ શખ્સો દંડાય...
- One lac help to child girl family
- Leopard that killed old woman at Karamdadi, caught...
- Leopard attacks two brothers near Hasnapur Dam in ...
- Four leopards caught in one night near Veraval
- Leopard dies in Train accident near Shapur in Gir ...
- Lion tears apart man near Jafrabad
- Lioness in mating kills a man; disturbed by stone ...
- Lions, cheetahs to share forest land in MP? SC wil...
- Mating lion attacks Maldhari
- Equipped to shift Gir lions: MP govt to SC
- Modi, Chauhan in lion fight in SC
- Lion in mating attacks youth at Undardi Ness near ...
- MP pitches hard for shifting Asiatic lions from Gu...
- MP, Gujarat spar in SC over translocation of lions...
- Lovelorn lion kills cub
- Leopard attack at Chivad village near Dhari
- Fun Facts About Lions
- Gujarat offers 500 hectare of land in Junagadh for...
- Gujarat's 2nd ultra mega power plant to come up in...
- Carcass of lion cub found in Amreli
- Three wild animal drown in well dead
- Devaliya lion safari park to be pollution-free
- Male lion, disturbed when matting,kills cub
- Hyana killed on road accident on Una – Gir Gadhda ...
- Un-necessary radio chollar makes lioness restless;...
- Fire endangers over 25 lions in Amreli grassland
- Major fire in lion’s abode in Amreli
- Three lions kill a cow at Motha village near Una
- Forest fire at Liliya Kankranch controlled early m...
- Leapord child meet in Mahuva
- Fire in Kankrach (Greater Gir)
- Which is 12 Gir lions habitat
- Cheetahs help Gujarat govt plead lion case in SC
- Gujarat opposes shifting of Gir lions to Madhya Pr...
- Will it be lions or cheetahs that will roam Kuno-P...
- Lions’ roar to echo in Porbandar's Barda Sanctuary...
- From Aug, Gir lions will roar in Porbandar too
- Nine leopards killed in 5 years
- Don’t shift Gir lions to MP: Gujarat to SC
- ‘MP needs cheetahs from S Africa, not lions from G...
- Gujarat declines to shift its Asiatic lions to Mad...
- Growing population: Leopards struggle in lions’ de...
- Gir wild cats mauled 10 to death in a year
- Leopard show in madhavpur jungle
- Animals on fast in Junagadh zoo
- Akhilesh Yadav's native district to get its 'Lion ...
- Proposed 'Lion Safari' in Akhilesh's native distri...
- ▼ April 2012 (69)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)