Akhilesh Yadav's native district to get its 'Lion Safari'
Lion Safari -- the dream project of Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav which was shelved by the previous Mayawati regime -- is now being revived by the new Uttar Pradesh government.
The project, which was mooted in 2005 in Yadav's native village of Saifai in Etawah district, was put on the back burner under Mayawati government but with SP back at the helm of the affairs, state forest department has started working on it again.
"The work has started again on the Lion Safari project to be set up at 50 acres of Fischer forest area. The permission in this regard has been taken from the Central Zoo Authority (CZA). Now we are preparing a master-plan for the project and get it approved," Principal Forest Conservator JS Asthana told PTI.
The cost of opening the safari in the home district of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav was Rs20 crore in 2005 but has escalated now and would be worked out soon.
The CZA has put certain conditions for final approval of the project and work is underway to fulfil them, he said.
About the conditions, Ashthana said that CSA had asked the department to first establish a breeding centre for lions so that those brought from outside could be mated here and only the new-borns were left in the safari so that they can adapt the conditions.
"We are completing formalities in this regard," he said.
The Asiatic lions, which are facing a serious threat of extinction would be given natural breeding atmosphere in the proposed safari in Saifai nestled between the Yamuna and Chambal rivers.
These royal beasts were found roaming in south-western Asia and northern India barely 200 years ago and are now confined to a small pocket in Gir forest reserve of Gujarat only, Forest department officials said.
This lion safari in Safai would be a special kind of zoo where the Asiatic lion would be kept for breeding so that the threat of their extinction could be minimised.
Etawah district, officials say, had a remarkable similarity of temperature and humidity, vegetation, ruggedness of the terrain with the Gir protected area that would help in breeding them.
The Yadav's pocketborough already has an airstrip, a grand stadium cum sports complex and a state-of-the-art hospital on the lines of the Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences in Lucknow and with the opening of Lion Safari it is likely to emerge as a popular tourist destination, officers involved in the project said.
- ► 2017 (150)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- Gunshots silence lion’s roar in Mityala
- Lion cub fall into water-tank save
- Leopard makes Dhari his home
- Gir Forest Lions' Survival And The Chance To Roam ...
- Saving lions: Locals told to barricade open wells ...
- Farmers told to barricade wells on Gir periphery
- Lion rescued from open well
- Two lions punisher for human folly
- Lion rescued from open well at Ningada village in ...
- Lion in matting kills cub at Shemardi village
- Over 8,000 trees in protected area to be axed
- Gujarat activists take up cudgels to save 5,000 tr...
- Gir Forest Lions' Survival And The Chance To Roam ...
- March-April 07 Poaching Incidence
- Poachers back to hunt Gujrat pride?
- Axe to fall on 4,800 trees for national highway pr...
- 5,000 trees fall out with govt for obstructing its...
- Leopard kills old woman
- Lions kill two cows
- Wildlife action plan is need of the hour
- Lion and leopard killed seven people in Amreli
- જંગલમાં ‘સિંહદર્શન’ કરતા અમદાવાદનાં આઠ શખ્સો દંડાય...
- One lac help to child girl family
- Leopard that killed old woman at Karamdadi, caught...
- Leopard attacks two brothers near Hasnapur Dam in ...
- Four leopards caught in one night near Veraval
- Leopard dies in Train accident near Shapur in Gir ...
- Lion tears apart man near Jafrabad
- Lioness in mating kills a man; disturbed by stone ...
- Lions, cheetahs to share forest land in MP? SC wil...
- Mating lion attacks Maldhari
- Equipped to shift Gir lions: MP govt to SC
- Modi, Chauhan in lion fight in SC
- Lion in mating attacks youth at Undardi Ness near ...
- MP pitches hard for shifting Asiatic lions from Gu...
- MP, Gujarat spar in SC over translocation of lions...
- Lovelorn lion kills cub
- Leopard attack at Chivad village near Dhari
- Fun Facts About Lions
- Gujarat offers 500 hectare of land in Junagadh for...
- Gujarat's 2nd ultra mega power plant to come up in...
- Carcass of lion cub found in Amreli
- Three wild animal drown in well dead
- Devaliya lion safari park to be pollution-free
- Male lion, disturbed when matting,kills cub
- Hyana killed on road accident on Una – Gir Gadhda ...
- Un-necessary radio chollar makes lioness restless;...
- Fire endangers over 25 lions in Amreli grassland
- Major fire in lion’s abode in Amreli
- Three lions kill a cow at Motha village near Una
- Forest fire at Liliya Kankranch controlled early m...
- Leapord child meet in Mahuva
- Fire in Kankrach (Greater Gir)
- Which is 12 Gir lions habitat
- Cheetahs help Gujarat govt plead lion case in SC
- Gujarat opposes shifting of Gir lions to Madhya Pr...
- Will it be lions or cheetahs that will roam Kuno-P...
- Lions’ roar to echo in Porbandar's Barda Sanctuary...
- From Aug, Gir lions will roar in Porbandar too
- Nine leopards killed in 5 years
- Don’t shift Gir lions to MP: Gujarat to SC
- ‘MP needs cheetahs from S Africa, not lions from G...
- Gujarat declines to shift its Asiatic lions to Mad...
- Growing population: Leopards struggle in lions’ de...
- Gir wild cats mauled 10 to death in a year
- Leopard show in madhavpur jungle
- Animals on fast in Junagadh zoo
- Akhilesh Yadav's native district to get its 'Lion ...
- Proposed 'Lion Safari' in Akhilesh's native distri...
- ▼ April 2012 (69)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)