This Gir village to run on the sun
Times of India By Kumar Manish
After living all their lives without electricity, maldhari community of Jambhutala has found light in solar energy. Jambhutala is an interior village in Gir sanctuary and will be first to be installed with LED-based solar lighting system. The village has around 61 households.
Principal secretary, environment and forests, SK Nanda, says, "This is pilot project to be implemented first in this village. Later on it will be replicated in other villages too. Solar-based lighting system is the best suited to the villagers' need without compromising on the sanctuary ecology."
According to forest department, Jambhutala is solely depended upon either kerosene or firewood, none available easily.
The project will be implemented by Gujarat Ecology Commission. Member Secretary of GEC, E Balagurusamy, says, "These villages are part of the Gir eco system and play a crucial role in protection of the wildlife. They are also a great source of information for the forest department on any suspicious activities inside the sanctuary."
"Providing electricity lines is not a viable options as the overhead wires or underground electric wires are fraught with dangers, which can affect the wildlife inside the sanctuary," adds he.
The total project cost will be around Rs five lakh. Balagurusamy says, "We are hoping that the project will be completed before the monsoon season."
According to GEC, each of the household will be provided with two solar lights, one for the kitchen purpose and other for other household activities and also street light facility for them. Nanda says, "Earlier, during our meeting with villagers inside the sanctuary, they had complained of non-availability of kerosene and also lot of problems in collecting firewood."
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ROARING NUMBERS Gujarat’s pride: Lion count touche...
- Two leopards caught from Veraval, Rajula
- Local pride leaves India's lions at risk
- ‘Photography helped eliminate duplication’
- Forest dept officials move in AC cars to count lio...
- Lion census becomes picnic for senior foresters’ f...
- Fund crunch blocks move to shift Maldharis from Gi...
- Lion census in Gir concludes
- Lion census: Number may touch 400
- Forest Dept expects rise in Gir lion population
- He forced govt to take notice of 56 illegal mines ...
- Lion census starts, king is doing fine
- GOLDEN REIGN OF LION KING!
- This Gir village to run on the sun
- Children of Kankranch village in Liliya taluka pla...
- Lion census at Gir from Apr 24
- Docs, anti-heat kits for lion census volunteers
- Gir lion count to be declared on Gujarat Day
- Leopard attack farm labour
- Lion census: 200 cameras to scan Gir
- Lion population Estimation from 24th April
- Leopard that attacked criminal, caught
- Leopard skin trade mastermind nabbed
- Leopard helps cops nab wanted extortionist
- Handicapped man attacked by leopard, killed on Gir...
- 1300 volunteers and experts to spot the lion king
- In 72 hours, the lion king will be enumerated
- Within 18 months before Lion census
- Lion leopard attack at 40 km away from Gir forest
- Two leopard cubs found abandoned in field
- Leopard skin traders released on bail
- FSL Van for crime detection in Gir
- Gir lions to be mapped using GPS
- 40 Lions have not seen the Jungle!
- No Asian lions for Winnipeg zoo Planning to welcom...
- Mock-Drill of Lion Census
- Road passing through blackbuck park to be blocked
- 15 peacocks found dead in state
- Inter-state gang may be active in Sabarkantha
- Dead leopard’s nails recovered in Sabarkantha
- Leopards were killed with blunt weapons
- Govt employee among leopard skin traders
- African primitive tribe Siddi, will be eco-guide a...
- Gujarat’s Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Gujarat's Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Lion census to cover 10,000 sq km
- Digital cameras to help count lion population
- Lion census from April 24, count could go beyond 4...
- MASTERMIND ON THE RUN Leopard skin trade: Cops to ...
- Lion Census at Gir sanctuary from April 22
- Six-day remand for four caught with leopard skin i...
- Partner in cage, leopardess stays put outside
- If 10 Gir lions die annually anyway, give 5 to us:...
- A daring operation led to arrests
- 4 held with leopard skin in Sabarkantha
- Centre to give away Rs.5000 crore to States for fo...
- Female Leopard barging head with cage having male ...
- Lepard that attacked young man caught
- ▼ April 2010 (58)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)