Lion census: Number may touch 400
Times of India By Himanshu Kaushik
Many Sightings In First Round Have Fuelled Expectations
It was 1 am, the beat guard inside the sanctuary heard a lion's roar. The big cat was near by. A nocturnal search was launched, which ended in sweet success. The team traced two lionesses with a cub.
This is not an isolated incident. There were several sightings of lions within the sanctuary and even outside, which has made the experts believe that the count could well touch 400. The first round of the lion census ended at 2 pm on Sunday. According to the forests department officials, the count as compared to 2005 census would record an increase of about 10-15 per cent. The previous census in 2005 had reported 359 lions in Gir.
Refusing to be identified, a census volunteer said, "I was on the job from 2 pm on Saturday when we first spotted two lionesses and a cub in Talala region. The cub was about three months old. The lioness had some injury marks on the left side of the neck. This was noted down by us and photographs from different angles were taken. Also the forests officials marked the location using global positioning system."
The sighting of the lioness with its cub added to the enthusiasm of the forest officials, who are all geared up for the final count beginning 2 pm on Monday. The four-day census began on Saturday. The count has been taken up at 450 different locations across Porbander, Bhavnagar, Amreli, Junagadh and a portion of Rajkot.
The foresters said that there possibilities were that the count could be anywhere between 280-290 in Gir sanctuary and another 30 lions could be present in Mityala and Girnar sanctuaries. Sources said that going by the sightings outside sanctuary, it was clear that the number may be anywhere between 90-110 in the far reaches of Amreli, Porbander and even Bhavnagar. In Mahuva region alone the count was 15-17, said the officials. In Khambha alone 30 odd lions were spotted.
Principal chief conservator of forests (wildlife) R Asari said that the first round concluded without any hiccups. "Trends would be available by April 28 or April 29. The final count would be ready by April 30," he said. All eyes are trained on the 2010 census for two reasons: This is the first census which covers an area of about 8,000-10,000 sq km. Also this is the first official count after the 2007 poaching incident.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ROARING NUMBERS Gujarat’s pride: Lion count touche...
- Two leopards caught from Veraval, Rajula
- Local pride leaves India's lions at risk
- ‘Photography helped eliminate duplication’
- Forest dept officials move in AC cars to count lio...
- Lion census becomes picnic for senior foresters’ f...
- Fund crunch blocks move to shift Maldharis from Gi...
- Lion census in Gir concludes
- Lion census: Number may touch 400
- Forest Dept expects rise in Gir lion population
- He forced govt to take notice of 56 illegal mines ...
- Lion census starts, king is doing fine
- GOLDEN REIGN OF LION KING!
- This Gir village to run on the sun
- Children of Kankranch village in Liliya taluka pla...
- Lion census at Gir from Apr 24
- Docs, anti-heat kits for lion census volunteers
- Gir lion count to be declared on Gujarat Day
- Leopard attack farm labour
- Lion census: 200 cameras to scan Gir
- Lion population Estimation from 24th April
- Leopard that attacked criminal, caught
- Leopard skin trade mastermind nabbed
- Leopard helps cops nab wanted extortionist
- Handicapped man attacked by leopard, killed on Gir...
- 1300 volunteers and experts to spot the lion king
- In 72 hours, the lion king will be enumerated
- Within 18 months before Lion census
- Lion leopard attack at 40 km away from Gir forest
- Two leopard cubs found abandoned in field
- Leopard skin traders released on bail
- FSL Van for crime detection in Gir
- Gir lions to be mapped using GPS
- 40 Lions have not seen the Jungle!
- No Asian lions for Winnipeg zoo Planning to welcom...
- Mock-Drill of Lion Census
- Road passing through blackbuck park to be blocked
- 15 peacocks found dead in state
- Inter-state gang may be active in Sabarkantha
- Dead leopard’s nails recovered in Sabarkantha
- Leopards were killed with blunt weapons
- Govt employee among leopard skin traders
- African primitive tribe Siddi, will be eco-guide a...
- Gujarat’s Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Gujarat's Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Lion census to cover 10,000 sq km
- Digital cameras to help count lion population
- Lion census from April 24, count could go beyond 4...
- MASTERMIND ON THE RUN Leopard skin trade: Cops to ...
- Lion Census at Gir sanctuary from April 22
- Six-day remand for four caught with leopard skin i...
- Partner in cage, leopardess stays put outside
- If 10 Gir lions die annually anyway, give 5 to us:...
- A daring operation led to arrests
- 4 held with leopard skin in Sabarkantha
- Centre to give away Rs.5000 crore to States for fo...
- Female Leopard barging head with cage having male ...
- Lepard that attacked young man caught
- ▼ April 2010 (58)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)