Monday, April 12, 2010
Gir lions to be mapped using GPS
Gir lions to be mapped using GPS
Times of India By Himanshu Kaushik
This Will Help Create Digital Database Of The Big Cats
The lion census to begin from April 24 in and around Gir, will have another added feature. It will create a new digitised database of the Asiatic lion, by mapping the position of a lion on Geographical Information System (GIS).
Forest officials said that the teams involved in the census will be equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS) equipment, which will help mapping of lions, which are moving out of Gir forest in search of newer habitats.
The census this time will cover the entire coastline, where lions have been sighted. Deputy Conservator of Forest Sandeep Kumar who is incharge of the census said 'nearly 130 odd GPS devices will be given to the zonal officers who would note down position of the lion along with other details."
Kumar said that there are 100 sub zonal officials, 28 zonal and seven regional teams involved in the operation. With GPS, the officials would take down the exact location of the lion, including the longitude, latitude, and the distance from North Pole would be noted.
"We are using GIS and GPS this time to know exact location of lion spotted. On that basis, we can say what is the composition of land and where they are exactly located during the census period," Kumar said. The officials will also take photographs of all the lions, lionesses and cubs spotted, so that they can have photographic evidence and verify the same with unique identification markings of lions. During the 2005 census, 359 lions were found in Gir.
- ► 2017 (154)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ROARING NUMBERS Gujarat’s pride: Lion count touche...
- Two leopards caught from Veraval, Rajula
- Local pride leaves India's lions at risk
- ‘Photography helped eliminate duplication’
- Forest dept officials move in AC cars to count lio...
- Lion census becomes picnic for senior foresters’ f...
- Fund crunch blocks move to shift Maldharis from Gi...
- Lion census in Gir concludes
- Lion census: Number may touch 400
- Forest Dept expects rise in Gir lion population
- He forced govt to take notice of 56 illegal mines ...
- Lion census starts, king is doing fine
- GOLDEN REIGN OF LION KING!
- This Gir village to run on the sun
- Children of Kankranch village in Liliya taluka pla...
- Lion census at Gir from Apr 24
- Docs, anti-heat kits for lion census volunteers
- Gir lion count to be declared on Gujarat Day
- Leopard attack farm labour
- Lion census: 200 cameras to scan Gir
- Lion population Estimation from 24th April
- Leopard that attacked criminal, caught
- Leopard skin trade mastermind nabbed
- Leopard helps cops nab wanted extortionist
- Handicapped man attacked by leopard, killed on Gir...
- 1300 volunteers and experts to spot the lion king
- In 72 hours, the lion king will be enumerated
- Within 18 months before Lion census
- Lion leopard attack at 40 km away from Gir forest
- Two leopard cubs found abandoned in field
- Leopard skin traders released on bail
- FSL Van for crime detection in Gir
- Gir lions to be mapped using GPS
- 40 Lions have not seen the Jungle!
- No Asian lions for Winnipeg zoo Planning to welcom...
- Mock-Drill of Lion Census
- Road passing through blackbuck park to be blocked
- 15 peacocks found dead in state
- Inter-state gang may be active in Sabarkantha
- Dead leopard’s nails recovered in Sabarkantha
- Leopards were killed with blunt weapons
- Govt employee among leopard skin traders
- African primitive tribe Siddi, will be eco-guide a...
- Gujarat’s Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Gujarat's Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Lion census to cover 10,000 sq km
- Digital cameras to help count lion population
- Lion census from April 24, count could go beyond 4...
- MASTERMIND ON THE RUN Leopard skin trade: Cops to ...
- Lion Census at Gir sanctuary from April 22
- Six-day remand for four caught with leopard skin i...
- Partner in cage, leopardess stays put outside
- If 10 Gir lions die annually anyway, give 5 to us:...
- A daring operation led to arrests
- 4 held with leopard skin in Sabarkantha
- Centre to give away Rs.5000 crore to States for fo...
- Female Leopard barging head with cage having male ...
- Lepard that attacked young man caught
- ▼ April 2010 (58)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)