Lion population Estimation from 24th April
Briefly translated from Gujarati
Lion population Estimation is to start from 24th April 2010. forest department and lion lovers are expecting growth of about 7-10% As per census-2005 count is 359 lions in Gir PA.
This time 450 location points are fixed and counting shall continue till 27th April. All the date will be officially announced by Chief Minister Shree Narendra Modi on Gujarat Day-1st May 2010. This is 13th Lion census organized by the Forest Dept. said Principal Secretary Shree S. K. Nanda. This time the counting process is more scientific equipped with latest gazettes like GPS systems, Wireless, GIS systems for exate location of the animal etc. Primary count shall began from 2 PM on 24th April to 25th April. And final count shall be done from 2PM on 26th April to 2PM on 27th April. Said PCCF Shri Khanna. He added that four districts of Junagadh, Amreli, Bhavnagar and Porbandar are included. Five observers from Wildlife institute, Central Govt. and Environment and Forest Ministry have been deputed to monitor the whole process.
The whole forest area is divided into bits as units and villages in revenue area as units. Further whole PA area to be included during the count is divided into 28 zones and 100 sub-zones informed PCCF Shree Asari Direct sighting is best method he added.
- Population as per Census-2005 was 359
- Staff of 1600 will be employed in counting.
- There will be 450 Locations
- 100 GPS systems to be used
- 100 special and 100 professional cameras to be used.
- There 89 Gir Lions in Indian Zoos.
- Count shall include separately Male, Female & cubs
- Four District included
- Place, Date and GPS Location of each sighting will be recorded.
- 100 volunteers will participate
- Team of Doctors available
- 200 vehicle and 450 bikes to be used
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ROARING NUMBERS Gujarat’s pride: Lion count touche...
- Two leopards caught from Veraval, Rajula
- Local pride leaves India's lions at risk
- ‘Photography helped eliminate duplication’
- Forest dept officials move in AC cars to count lio...
- Lion census becomes picnic for senior foresters’ f...
- Fund crunch blocks move to shift Maldharis from Gi...
- Lion census in Gir concludes
- Lion census: Number may touch 400
- Forest Dept expects rise in Gir lion population
- He forced govt to take notice of 56 illegal mines ...
- Lion census starts, king is doing fine
- GOLDEN REIGN OF LION KING!
- This Gir village to run on the sun
- Children of Kankranch village in Liliya taluka pla...
- Lion census at Gir from Apr 24
- Docs, anti-heat kits for lion census volunteers
- Gir lion count to be declared on Gujarat Day
- Leopard attack farm labour
- Lion census: 200 cameras to scan Gir
- Lion population Estimation from 24th April
- Leopard that attacked criminal, caught
- Leopard skin trade mastermind nabbed
- Leopard helps cops nab wanted extortionist
- Handicapped man attacked by leopard, killed on Gir...
- 1300 volunteers and experts to spot the lion king
- In 72 hours, the lion king will be enumerated
- Within 18 months before Lion census
- Lion leopard attack at 40 km away from Gir forest
- Two leopard cubs found abandoned in field
- Leopard skin traders released on bail
- FSL Van for crime detection in Gir
- Gir lions to be mapped using GPS
- 40 Lions have not seen the Jungle!
- No Asian lions for Winnipeg zoo Planning to welcom...
- Mock-Drill of Lion Census
- Road passing through blackbuck park to be blocked
- 15 peacocks found dead in state
- Inter-state gang may be active in Sabarkantha
- Dead leopard’s nails recovered in Sabarkantha
- Leopards were killed with blunt weapons
- Govt employee among leopard skin traders
- African primitive tribe Siddi, will be eco-guide a...
- Gujarat’s Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Gujarat's Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Lion census to cover 10,000 sq km
- Digital cameras to help count lion population
- Lion census from April 24, count could go beyond 4...
- MASTERMIND ON THE RUN Leopard skin trade: Cops to ...
- Lion Census at Gir sanctuary from April 22
- Six-day remand for four caught with leopard skin i...
- Partner in cage, leopardess stays put outside
- If 10 Gir lions die annually anyway, give 5 to us:...
- A daring operation led to arrests
- 4 held with leopard skin in Sabarkantha
- Centre to give away Rs.5000 crore to States for fo...
- Female Leopard barging head with cage having male ...
- Lepard that attacked young man caught
- ▼ April 2010 (58)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)