Lion Census at Gir sanctuary from April 22
The forest department will be conducting a Lion Census in the Gir sanctuary from April 22, a top official from the Gujarat government said today.
"The Census at Gir, housing Asiatic Lions will be done from April 22-25. This time it will be conducted in a more scientific manner. In the past it was based on pugmarks," Sudeep Kumar Nanda, Additional Chief Secretary (Forest and Environment) told PTI.
Chief Conservator of Forests, Pradeep Kumar Khanna said the forest department will be using GPS system and the counting will take place on the direct sight of lions following Gujarat government's statement on March 26 in the Assembly that 116 lions died in Gir between January 2007-2010.
About 1,200 persons will be deployed for this exercise after providing them with training in this regard, he said.
About 359 lions were counted in Gir during 2005 census which also covered Girnar hills, coastal areas, Bhavnagar and other parts outside the 1412 sq km sanctuary, Nanda said.
- ► 2017 (112)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ROARING NUMBERS Gujarat’s pride: Lion count touche...
- Two leopards caught from Veraval, Rajula
- Local pride leaves India's lions at risk
- ‘Photography helped eliminate duplication’
- Forest dept officials move in AC cars to count lio...
- Lion census becomes picnic for senior foresters’ f...
- Fund crunch blocks move to shift Maldharis from Gi...
- Lion census in Gir concludes
- Lion census: Number may touch 400
- Forest Dept expects rise in Gir lion population
- He forced govt to take notice of 56 illegal mines ...
- Lion census starts, king is doing fine
- GOLDEN REIGN OF LION KING!
- This Gir village to run on the sun
- Children of Kankranch village in Liliya taluka pla...
- Lion census at Gir from Apr 24
- Docs, anti-heat kits for lion census volunteers
- Gir lion count to be declared on Gujarat Day
- Leopard attack farm labour
- Lion census: 200 cameras to scan Gir
- Lion population Estimation from 24th April
- Leopard that attacked criminal, caught
- Leopard skin trade mastermind nabbed
- Leopard helps cops nab wanted extortionist
- Handicapped man attacked by leopard, killed on Gir...
- 1300 volunteers and experts to spot the lion king
- In 72 hours, the lion king will be enumerated
- Within 18 months before Lion census
- Lion leopard attack at 40 km away from Gir forest
- Two leopard cubs found abandoned in field
- Leopard skin traders released on bail
- FSL Van for crime detection in Gir
- Gir lions to be mapped using GPS
- 40 Lions have not seen the Jungle!
- No Asian lions for Winnipeg zoo Planning to welcom...
- Mock-Drill of Lion Census
- Road passing through blackbuck park to be blocked
- 15 peacocks found dead in state
- Inter-state gang may be active in Sabarkantha
- Dead leopard’s nails recovered in Sabarkantha
- Leopards were killed with blunt weapons
- Govt employee among leopard skin traders
- African primitive tribe Siddi, will be eco-guide a...
- Gujarat’s Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Gujarat's Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Lion census to cover 10,000 sq km
- Digital cameras to help count lion population
- Lion census from April 24, count could go beyond 4...
- MASTERMIND ON THE RUN Leopard skin trade: Cops to ...
- Lion Census at Gir sanctuary from April 22
- Six-day remand for four caught with leopard skin i...
- Partner in cage, leopardess stays put outside
- If 10 Gir lions die annually anyway, give 5 to us:...
- A daring operation led to arrests
- 4 held with leopard skin in Sabarkantha
- Centre to give away Rs.5000 crore to States for fo...
- Female Leopard barging head with cage having male ...
- Lepard that attacked young man caught
- ▼ April 2010 (58)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)