Lion census at Gir from Apr 24
After five years, the lion census in Gir will begin on April 24. The four-day exercise will involve over 1,500 Forest department personnel, volunteers and wildlife experts, who will use Global Positioning System (GPS) and Geographical Information System (GIS) devices. The latest technology would provide very specific field data.
"The exercise is an integral part of wildlife management in Bruhad Gir that includes Gir National Park and touches Junagadh, Amreli, Bhavnagar and Porbandar districts," said S K Nanda, Principal Secretary, Environment and Forest.
The previous headcount in May 2005 had recorded 359 big cats in Gir's protected area, which includes Girnar Forest and the coastal areas of Veraval, Sutrapada, Kodinar, Una and Jafarbad. On April 24 and April 25, the geographical locations of lions will be recorded; and on April 26 and 27, the final estimate will be done.
Around 100 sub zonal forest officers have been given the task of photographing and observing the lions to log details of each animal, said Principal Chief Conservator of Forest Pradeep Khanna. He added that 135 Hand Held Units will help precisely locate the lions.
To expedite the process, five senior forest officers will be involved. They are: Additional Chief Conservator of Forest, Social Forestry H S Singh; Chief Conservator of Forest (CCF) M M Sharma; CCF, Junagadh Wildlife Circle, S K Chaturvedi; CCF Wildlife Crime, D K Sharma; and CCF D S Narve.
"The best method is beat verification, which is foolproof and consumes less time and money. Together with this method, the GPS and GIS systems will be employed to prevent any overlapping," said S K Chaturvedi, CCF, Junagadh.
"Summer is the best time to conduct this exercise. Lions and other wild animals need to drink at least once in 24 hours and the limited number of water holes make it easier for us to locate them," said Chaturvedi.
Sabarkantha leopard poacher held
The man behind the leopard poaching case reported 15 days ago in Sabarkantha has been arrested. CCF Wildlife Crime D K Sharma said: "Babu Maurya was arrested by the Wildlife Crime Department on Tuesday. He has been booked under the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972. Four persons have been arrested under this Act. They are all natives of Rajasthan."
- ► 2018 (55)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ROARING NUMBERS Gujarat’s pride: Lion count touche...
- Two leopards caught from Veraval, Rajula
- Local pride leaves India's lions at risk
- ‘Photography helped eliminate duplication’
- Forest dept officials move in AC cars to count lio...
- Lion census becomes picnic for senior foresters’ f...
- Fund crunch blocks move to shift Maldharis from Gi...
- Lion census in Gir concludes
- Lion census: Number may touch 400
- Forest Dept expects rise in Gir lion population
- He forced govt to take notice of 56 illegal mines ...
- Lion census starts, king is doing fine
- GOLDEN REIGN OF LION KING!
- This Gir village to run on the sun
- Children of Kankranch village in Liliya taluka pla...
- Lion census at Gir from Apr 24
- Docs, anti-heat kits for lion census volunteers
- Gir lion count to be declared on Gujarat Day
- Leopard attack farm labour
- Lion census: 200 cameras to scan Gir
- Lion population Estimation from 24th April
- Leopard that attacked criminal, caught
- Leopard skin trade mastermind nabbed
- Leopard helps cops nab wanted extortionist
- Handicapped man attacked by leopard, killed on Gir...
- 1300 volunteers and experts to spot the lion king
- In 72 hours, the lion king will be enumerated
- Within 18 months before Lion census
- Lion leopard attack at 40 km away from Gir forest
- Two leopard cubs found abandoned in field
- Leopard skin traders released on bail
- FSL Van for crime detection in Gir
- Gir lions to be mapped using GPS
- 40 Lions have not seen the Jungle!
- No Asian lions for Winnipeg zoo Planning to welcom...
- Mock-Drill of Lion Census
- Road passing through blackbuck park to be blocked
- 15 peacocks found dead in state
- Inter-state gang may be active in Sabarkantha
- Dead leopard’s nails recovered in Sabarkantha
- Leopards were killed with blunt weapons
- Govt employee among leopard skin traders
- African primitive tribe Siddi, will be eco-guide a...
- Gujarat’s Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Gujarat's Gir lion monopoly faces fresh threat
- Lion census to cover 10,000 sq km
- Digital cameras to help count lion population
- Lion census from April 24, count could go beyond 4...
- MASTERMIND ON THE RUN Leopard skin trade: Cops to ...
- Lion Census at Gir sanctuary from April 22
- Six-day remand for four caught with leopard skin i...
- Partner in cage, leopardess stays put outside
- If 10 Gir lions die annually anyway, give 5 to us:...
- A daring operation led to arrests
- 4 held with leopard skin in Sabarkantha
- Centre to give away Rs.5000 crore to States for fo...
- Female Leopard barging head with cage having male ...
- Lepard that attacked young man caught
- ▼ April 2010 (58)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)