Villagers Demand Compensation for Woman Killed by Gir Lion
A 45-year-old woman was today killed by a lion near Moruka village of Talala taluka of Junagadh district, police said. Sarojben Mohanbhai was dragged 50 feet before killed by a big cat when she had gone to field in the morning, police officials said. Moruka village is located near Gir Wildlife Sanctuary in Junagadh district.
Sarojben's body has been sent for postmortem while angry villagers demanded proper compensation to the kin of the victim. Incidents of attack by wild animals on humans and domestic animals have been on the rise in the last few years, a minister had said.
There have been 162 incidents of attack by wild animals on humans in Gir forest region in the past three years, Environment and Forest minister Mangu Patel had recently informed the state assembly. In all, 6399 incidents of attack by wild animals, 162 on humans and 6,237 on domestic animals, have been reported from villages situated in vicinity of the forest region, Patel had said. In the last census of lions conducted in 2011, the forest department had found 411 lions in and around the Gir forest.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- Lioness killed by crocodile?
- Lioness found dead in Amreli district
- 'Jurassic Park' coming up in Gujarat
- Mobile van to check man-animal conflict
- Bachchan promoted Gujarat for free: Govt
- Govt mulling increase in compensatn for lion attac...
- 29 lions have died since April 2010 census: Govt
- Girnar ropeway: State to stick to original plan
- 29 lions from Gir forest die in 8 months
- Villagers Demand Compensation for Woman Killed by ...
- MP wildlife sanctuary ready for Gir lions but Guja...
- 2,700 wells around Gir still uncovered
- Trapped leopard dies outside Gir
- Life in the lair
- Jethava murder: BJP MP Solanki gets clean chit
- Pride of Gujarat left to fend for itself
- ‘Gir area not enough for lions’
- Lion attacks on humans on the rise
- 162 cases of wild animals attacking humans in Gir ...
- Lion on the march, reclaims lost kingdom
- Dangerous to know: India's Right to Information Ac...
- Gujarat cops take custody of poacher
- Leopard kills child in Junagadh
- Central fund for Greater Gir yet to come: Govt
- Regularise Essar forest land, state urges MoEF
- New home for Asiatic lions
- ▼ March 2011 (26)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)