29 lions from Gir forest die in 8 months
Gandhinagar, Mar 23 (PTI) Twenty nine Asiatic lions including ten cubs died in the famous Gir forests over the last eight months, the Gujarat Assembly was told today. "The death of 19 Lions and 10 cubs has taken place in the Gir forest region and surrounding areas since the Lion census was conducted in April 2010," Forest Minister Mangu Patel stated in a written reply to a question of State Congress President Arjun Modhvadia. Modhvadia, had raised a question asking about the status of Asiatic Lions till December 2010, post the census conducted in Gujarat. As per estimates of the Lion census conducted in April 2010, there were 97 Lions, 162 Lionesses and 152 cubs in and around Gir forest region of the state, which is also the last abode of Asiatic Lions. The 2005 census had recorded presence of 359 lions here. While there have been many deaths, many new cubs were born in the last breeding season, state forest department officials said.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- Lioness killed by crocodile?
- Lioness found dead in Amreli district
- 'Jurassic Park' coming up in Gujarat
- Mobile van to check man-animal conflict
- Bachchan promoted Gujarat for free: Govt
- Govt mulling increase in compensatn for lion attac...
- 29 lions have died since April 2010 census: Govt
- Girnar ropeway: State to stick to original plan
- 29 lions from Gir forest die in 8 months
- Villagers Demand Compensation for Woman Killed by ...
- MP wildlife sanctuary ready for Gir lions but Guja...
- 2,700 wells around Gir still uncovered
- Trapped leopard dies outside Gir
- Life in the lair
- Jethava murder: BJP MP Solanki gets clean chit
- Pride of Gujarat left to fend for itself
- ‘Gir area not enough for lions’
- Lion attacks on humans on the rise
- 162 cases of wild animals attacking humans in Gir ...
- Lion on the march, reclaims lost kingdom
- Dangerous to know: India's Right to Information Ac...
- Gujarat cops take custody of poacher
- Leopard kills child in Junagadh
- Central fund for Greater Gir yet to come: Govt
- Regularise Essar forest land, state urges MoEF
- New home for Asiatic lions
- ▼ March 2011 (26)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)