MP wildlife sanctuary ready for Gir lions but Gujarat unrelenting
News 24 x 7
In order to conserve the single isolated population of Asiatic Lions, the Ministry of Environment and Forests had some time back initiated habitat feasibility study through the Wildlife Institute of India. The study has inter alia identified Kuno Palpur Wildlife Sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh as an alternate home for the Gir Lions.
This would also be used for release of wild lions from Gujarat. But, according to the ministry of state for Environment and Forests, while the Madhya Pradesh government is agreeable for translocation of Gir Asiatic Lions in Kuno Palpur, Gujarat government has so far not cleared a proposal to part with Gir Asiatic Lions.
The matter is subjudice before Supreme Court of India in view of IA no. 100 in Writ Petition (Civil) 337/1995. There is no proposal to set up eight new Lion reserves in the country. This was informed by Jairam Ramesh, the minsiter, to a question by Bharatsinh Prabhatsinh Parmar in Rajya Sabha
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- Lioness killed by crocodile?
- Lioness found dead in Amreli district
- 'Jurassic Park' coming up in Gujarat
- Mobile van to check man-animal conflict
- Bachchan promoted Gujarat for free: Govt
- Govt mulling increase in compensatn for lion attac...
- 29 lions have died since April 2010 census: Govt
- Girnar ropeway: State to stick to original plan
- 29 lions from Gir forest die in 8 months
- Villagers Demand Compensation for Woman Killed by ...
- MP wildlife sanctuary ready for Gir lions but Guja...
- 2,700 wells around Gir still uncovered
- Trapped leopard dies outside Gir
- Life in the lair
- Jethava murder: BJP MP Solanki gets clean chit
- Pride of Gujarat left to fend for itself
- ‘Gir area not enough for lions’
- Lion attacks on humans on the rise
- 162 cases of wild animals attacking humans in Gir ...
- Lion on the march, reclaims lost kingdom
- Dangerous to know: India's Right to Information Ac...
- Gujarat cops take custody of poacher
- Leopard kills child in Junagadh
- Central fund for Greater Gir yet to come: Govt
- Regularise Essar forest land, state urges MoEF
- New home for Asiatic lions
- ▼ March 2011 (26)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)