Trapped leopard dies outside Gir
Times of India
A leopard, which ensnared in trap meant for wild boars, died outside the Gir forest on Friday night. The forest department arrested Paresh Nagji for laying two traps made of two-wheeler's clutch wires.
Deputy conservator of forests Anita Karna said that in one of the traps a leopard was found dead; while the other trap was lying open about 10 metres away.
Nagji told forest officers that he had not laid the trap for big cats but for wild boars. Karna said that the incident took place about five to six km away from the sanctuary. The leopard was killed after its neck got strangulated in the trap. The trap was laid in the revenue area outside the farm of Atul Sekhada. The area, where the trap was laid, was outside the sanctuary and the protected area.
A senior officer from the forest department said that this was not an incident of poaching of big cats as organised gangs do not set up such traps. He said that this was mainly for the wild boar or herbivorous animals.
A couple of incidents have been reported in the Gir and nearby areas where some herbivorous animals were poached. The gang was making fake lion claws and selling them in the open market. Forests officials said that such traps are laid for the small animals with the intention of catching and eating them.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- Lioness killed by crocodile?
- Lioness found dead in Amreli district
- 'Jurassic Park' coming up in Gujarat
- Mobile van to check man-animal conflict
- Bachchan promoted Gujarat for free: Govt
- Govt mulling increase in compensatn for lion attac...
- 29 lions have died since April 2010 census: Govt
- Girnar ropeway: State to stick to original plan
- 29 lions from Gir forest die in 8 months
- Villagers Demand Compensation for Woman Killed by ...
- MP wildlife sanctuary ready for Gir lions but Guja...
- 2,700 wells around Gir still uncovered
- Trapped leopard dies outside Gir
- Life in the lair
- Jethava murder: BJP MP Solanki gets clean chit
- Pride of Gujarat left to fend for itself
- ‘Gir area not enough for lions’
- Lion attacks on humans on the rise
- 162 cases of wild animals attacking humans in Gir ...
- Lion on the march, reclaims lost kingdom
- Dangerous to know: India's Right to Information Ac...
- Gujarat cops take custody of poacher
- Leopard kills child in Junagadh
- Central fund for Greater Gir yet to come: Govt
- Regularise Essar forest land, state urges MoEF
- New home for Asiatic lions
- ▼ March 2011 (26)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)