'Jurassic Park' coming up in Gujarat
A dinosaur fossil park will soon come up at Kheda district's Rayoli village which was once home to a large population of the species.
Some 1,000 fossilised eggs of the extinct species have been found at the site, at Rayoli village in Balasinor, some 85 km from here, which is now being developed as a 'dinosaur tourism' destination.
The site is governed by the Gujarat Ecological and Research Foundation.
"Balasinor dinosaur fossil park is a unique site, just like flamingo city of Kutch or Asiatic lion sanctuary at Sasan Gir. We are working hard to develop these places and turn them into international attractions," Tourism Minister Jaynarayan Vyas said.
The dinosaur fossils were first discovered at Rayoli in 1981 by the Geological Survey of India. A year later, approximately 1,000 dinosaur eggs were discovered, making this place famous among the palaeontologists.
Scientists say that at least seven species of dinosaur once roamed here; the fossils are estimated to be around 65 million years old.
Vyas said it was widely believed that this place was a part of the 'Shiva crater' that was formed millions of years ago by a meteor crash.
The meteor crash, and the later volcano eruptions devastated this area, scientists believe.
The state government has provided a grant of Rs six crore for the development of fossil park; the work is currently on.
Gujarat government invited a group of 50 palaeontologists to explore the site in 1997. Since then, a large number of palaeontologists have visited the area.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- Lioness killed by crocodile?
- Lioness found dead in Amreli district
- 'Jurassic Park' coming up in Gujarat
- Mobile van to check man-animal conflict
- Bachchan promoted Gujarat for free: Govt
- Govt mulling increase in compensatn for lion attac...
- 29 lions have died since April 2010 census: Govt
- Girnar ropeway: State to stick to original plan
- 29 lions from Gir forest die in 8 months
- Villagers Demand Compensation for Woman Killed by ...
- MP wildlife sanctuary ready for Gir lions but Guja...
- 2,700 wells around Gir still uncovered
- Trapped leopard dies outside Gir
- Life in the lair
- Jethava murder: BJP MP Solanki gets clean chit
- Pride of Gujarat left to fend for itself
- ‘Gir area not enough for lions’
- Lion attacks on humans on the rise
- 162 cases of wild animals attacking humans in Gir ...
- Lion on the march, reclaims lost kingdom
- Dangerous to know: India's Right to Information Ac...
- Gujarat cops take custody of poacher
- Leopard kills child in Junagadh
- Central fund for Greater Gir yet to come: Govt
- Regularise Essar forest land, state urges MoEF
- New home for Asiatic lions
- ▼ March 2011 (26)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)