Lioness killed by crocodile?
Times of India
Lake, Where Carcass Was Found Floating, Has Crocodiles
A nine-yearold lioness may have been killed in a crocodile attack, suspect forest officials. This is the second big cat to die in the last two days in Khambha, the eastern part of the Gir sanctuary.
On Sunday morning, the forest department found the lioness' carcass. Primary investigation revealed that the lioness could have died due to drowning as the carcass was found floating in the pond. The possibility of poisoning was ruled out as the carcass had not turned black.
R L Meena, conservator of forest said that the recovery of the carcass floating in the lake, which is about 150-metre long reveals, shows that the animal may have drowned. He said that the lake also has some crocodiles; hence, the possibility of a crocodile attack cannot be ruled out. However, only a post-mortem would reveal the exact cause of death.
In a similar incident a lioness was found dead in the same area on Saturday. The officials said that it had died of old age.
Meena, however, added that a major cause of worry for forest department was that same water hole was being used by wild as well as domestic animals. He said that the post-mortem report of a lion revealed that the death was due to infection of worms. "There was large presence of worms in the animal which were commonly found in domestic animals," said Meena. This was only due to sharing of a water hole by the lion and some domestic animals.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- Lioness killed by crocodile?
- Lioness found dead in Amreli district
- 'Jurassic Park' coming up in Gujarat
- Mobile van to check man-animal conflict
- Bachchan promoted Gujarat for free: Govt
- Govt mulling increase in compensatn for lion attac...
- 29 lions have died since April 2010 census: Govt
- Girnar ropeway: State to stick to original plan
- 29 lions from Gir forest die in 8 months
- Villagers Demand Compensation for Woman Killed by ...
- MP wildlife sanctuary ready for Gir lions but Guja...
- 2,700 wells around Gir still uncovered
- Trapped leopard dies outside Gir
- Life in the lair
- Jethava murder: BJP MP Solanki gets clean chit
- Pride of Gujarat left to fend for itself
- ‘Gir area not enough for lions’
- Lion attacks on humans on the rise
- 162 cases of wild animals attacking humans in Gir ...
- Lion on the march, reclaims lost kingdom
- Dangerous to know: India's Right to Information Ac...
- Gujarat cops take custody of poacher
- Leopard kills child in Junagadh
- Central fund for Greater Gir yet to come: Govt
- Regularise Essar forest land, state urges MoEF
- New home for Asiatic lions
- ▼ March 2011 (26)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)