29 lions have died since April 2010 census: Govt
Times of India
At least 29 lions, including 10 cubs, have died in the past eight months since the census April last year. The state government said this replying to Porbandar MLA Arjun Modhwadia's query in the assembly on Wednesday.
The three-day lion census was held in the state from April 24, which found 411 lions in Gir and its surrounding areas. However, the government refused to say how many cubs were born after the census and simply said that, "The birth rate and survival rate of lions is more than the death rate. Hence it is estimated that there would be more number of lions, than those reported during the census," said the government reply.
Of the 411, 97 were lions, 162 lionesses and 152 cubs. Officials however played down the deaths and said this only meant that four animals had died on an average in a month in the last eight months. Past records show an average of 37 lion deaths every year. An official said that in 2007 there were 40 deaths including six by poaching, in 2008 it was 42 and in 2009 there were 30 lion deaths.
However, a senior forest official said that lions were spotted in about 10,500 sq km area right from Girnar hills, coastal area of Bhavnagar and even outside the sanctuary. Officials further said that the government has increased the security cover in the area, initiated new security measures and security staff. Forest officials have also been provided with sophisticated equipment for patrolling in the dense forest areas.
- ► 2017 (154)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- Lioness killed by crocodile?
- Lioness found dead in Amreli district
- 'Jurassic Park' coming up in Gujarat
- Mobile van to check man-animal conflict
- Bachchan promoted Gujarat for free: Govt
- Govt mulling increase in compensatn for lion attac...
- 29 lions have died since April 2010 census: Govt
- Girnar ropeway: State to stick to original plan
- 29 lions from Gir forest die in 8 months
- Villagers Demand Compensation for Woman Killed by ...
- MP wildlife sanctuary ready for Gir lions but Guja...
- 2,700 wells around Gir still uncovered
- Trapped leopard dies outside Gir
- Life in the lair
- Jethava murder: BJP MP Solanki gets clean chit
- Pride of Gujarat left to fend for itself
- ‘Gir area not enough for lions’
- Lion attacks on humans on the rise
- 162 cases of wild animals attacking humans in Gir ...
- Lion on the march, reclaims lost kingdom
- Dangerous to know: India's Right to Information Ac...
- Gujarat cops take custody of poacher
- Leopard kills child in Junagadh
- Central fund for Greater Gir yet to come: Govt
- Regularise Essar forest land, state urges MoEF
- New home for Asiatic lions
- ▼ March 2011 (26)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)