8. A Cat among Pigeons.
By Lavkumar Khachar
Vashishta, Himachal Pradesh; Sunday, 17th October, 2010.
The cat here is a male tiger in his prime and the pigeons are the Rajasthan State wildlife officials and the experts of Project Tiger! Today, on a Delhi bird photography site there is a report of a tiger having made kills in the Keoladeo Ghana Bird Sanctuary, Bharatpur. Birders to the famous water bird sanctuary are warned not to stray into the more unfrequented parts of that sanctuary where the tiger seems to have made a temporary bivouac. Earlier there had been newspaper reports of a rather aggressive tiger in farmland around Mathura with people like myself guessing from where the animal had come; it was only when photographs were taken within the bird sanctuary that the animal has been identified as a four year old male in his prime from the outskirts of the Ranthambhore Project Tiger Reserve. The Rajasthan State Forest Department officers will be having sleepless nights until the feline is tranquilized and captured since it is obvious that his stay with the birds is temporary despite the large number of feral cattle and neelgai to predate on, since quite obviously this male is in search of some territory with tigresses to take over, and so will move on.
Do we rejoice that the great predator is spreading to its former areas? I am afraid not. Till the photographs were taken, the Ranthambhore authorities were blissfully unaware that one of their peripheral tigers had gone missing. Many of us on reading the news about a tiger scaring farmers around Mathura were wondering whether one of the tigers shifted to Siraska was not trekking back to Ranthambhore as domestic cats are believed to be so adept at doing. The entire question is troubling since finally, we are faced with some rather serious questions. Our wildlife reserves are all unfenced and so, successful protection would end up with far more animals than would amicably live in the proscribed areas. The younger males and the older and evicted ones would be ranging on the outskirts to come in conflict with the bludgeoning human population along with the domestic herds. The lions in the Gir have already scripted the need for conservation rethinking and now, finally, this errant tiger has done the same for his species. Even after he will be tranquilized and captured, the million rupee question is, what is to be done with him? Take him back to Ramthambhore? Release him in Siriska Tiger Reserve? Pass him onto some other sanctuary in the country with tigers? Or place him in the Jaipur or some other zoo?
What should be worrying is that until the animal was photographed in the Keoladeo Ghana Bird Sanctuary and identified, the authorities at Ranthambhore were blissfully unaware that one of their prime tigers was missing; had the animal ended up as a bundled skin and a bag of bones waiting to be smuggled out of India, the excitement would have died down with no further reports of a tiger in the neighborhood. The time is long past for any fuzzy concepts; we need to develop laser sharp understanding of actions to be taken well beyond efficient protection.
Saturday, March 17, 2012
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- Five leopards caught in one day in Sorath (Junagad...
- Agony of the mimic artist
- 139 lions died in 2009-11 in Gujarat
- Around Town : 139 lions died in 3 years: Minister
- 139 Asiatic lions died in Gujarat in last three ye...
- IUCN cautions state against poaching of lions
- Chief Wild Life Warden Visits affected areas by le...
- Lioness attacks young man during Lion Show
- Leopard terror visavadar
- Road to lion conservation
- Leopards die in fight with lion and hyena
- No Space in Leopard Jail, Junagadh
- Lioness get treatment amreli
- Article Water points in Gir to quench thirst of wi...
- Another leopard attack 7 year boy killed
- Junagadh zoogets 2 pigmey marmosets
- Gujarat opposes relocation of Gir lions in apex co...
- Work on lion safari begins in Etawah
- Prist fires on forest department staff
- 14 humans killed in leopard attack in Gir
- Lion family habitates Una coastal area
- Conservation reserve will be declared for lions
- People unhappy with double sided policy of Dhari F...
- Leopard dies in fight with lion at Gadhia
- Don’t bother Gir’s lion
- Leopard kills another kid
- Leopard mauls girl to death in Junagadh
- Leopard is in cage in close house
- Villagers caught leopard
- Fearing for vultures, SC panel picks holes in Mt G...
- No central nod for Girnar ropeway?
- Tiger poachers can kill lions too: Guj
- Gujarat won’t share lions with Madhya Pradesh
- Gir lions: SC hearing put off, issue echoes in Lok...
- Once again full fledged illegal mining near Gir Sa...
- Lioness, injuredin infight, treated on the spot
- Lion attacks man sleeping in dry river bed at Bava...
- ‘Lions are the property of Sorath’
- Battle for the jungle king is fast hotting up
- Poll people to move lions: Panel
- Should Gujarat provide wild Lions to Madhya Prades...
- Vashishta, Himachal Pradesh; Sunday, 17th October,...
- 7. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 6. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 5. The Future if Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- The Future if Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 4. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- Swopping Lions for Tigers.....
- Conservation of expanding distribution range of th...
- India’s lions still being killed, face uncertain f...
- No provision against cat entertainment
- Lion Attach at Amodra Village near Una
- Illegal lion shows a roaring business in Gir sanct...
- Gujarat won’t part with its pride
- Adopt Gir lion as national animal, says Parimal Na...
- PM should head Gir lions project: Nathwani
- Six detained for ‘lion show’ near Amreli village, ...
- Lion as a National Animal
- Steve Mandel, Santa Cruz County Stories: Award-win...
- Lioness photo season
- Rampara Vidi gets gift of three lion cubs
- Gir jungle does not increas in last few years
- Rajkjot – Mumbai residents held at illegal Lion sh...
- Lioness attacks farmer in Dhari
- Lioness attack on farmer
- Leopard kills infant in Sutrapada village
- Water pond for lions liliya
- Sutrapada leopard killed child girl
- Gujarat sugarcane farm shelter of leopard
- Leopard kills infant at Sutrapada
- India’s lions still being killed, face uncertain f...
- Gir Sanctuary lost 86 lions in three years
- One more lioness gives birth to two cubs at Kankra...
- Cute – but endangered – The Lions of Gir
- Lion attacks cleaner at sakkar bag zoo
- Lioness gives birth to two cubs at Kankrach villag...
- Leopard carcass found at Khambha near Visavadar
- Orphaned lionesses learn motherhood at Junagadh zo...
- Lion recognizes our uniforms and voice
- Porcupine deafet lioness in dhari
- Fire in lion's abode, no casualty
- Fire in lion home land
- Leopard attacks teenager in Amreli
- Leopard attack youth unique idea
- ▼ March 2012 (84)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)