Fearing for vultures, SC panel picks holes in Mt Girnar ropeway project
The Indian Express
The much-awaited ropeway project at Mount Girnar in Junagadh may see some changes following a recent report by the central empowered committee (CEC) formed by the Supreme Court, which has expressed concerns for safety and security for vultures roosting at the proposed site.
The three-member CEC had visited the site in November last and it recently submitted its report in the Supreme Court.
"In its report, the committee has expressed concern over safety and security of vultures roosting there," said S K Nanda, principal secretary (forest and environment). "While the state government won the case in SC earlier, the committee's report might result into some changes in the plans."
Nanda, however, said any changes would be planned only after going through the detailed report.
The ropeway project, first proposed in 1995, is expected to boost tourism at the famous pilgrimage site for Jains.
In February 2011, the Union Ministry of Environment and Forest had given its in-principle clearance for the project, with a condition to consider an alignment change to protect the vulture population on Mount Girnar.
As suggested by the MoEF, the state government had surveyed four possible routes, including base sites at Bhesan, Datar, Bilkha and Balamgaun.
When the project was first mooted in in 1995, Jains had opposed it, saying a ropeway project would turn this pilgrimage site into a tourist spot.
There are several temples located on various hills along Mount Girnar, which has 9,999 steps. The absence of a ropeway has restricted the number of visitors so far.
Later, environment groups raised the issue of protection of vultures, Girnari Giddhs, which are found in moderate number on Mount Girnar.
At 3,400 feet from sea level, Girnar is the highest peak in Gujarat. Girnar has five principal peaks — Ambaji, Gorakhnath, Guru Dattatraya, Oghad Ansuya and Kalka. Ambaji is the highest at 3,400 feet. The area of Girnar hills is around 70 miles.
At present, visitors climb the hill with the stairway, which has 9,999 steps. Ambaji is located at around 5,000 steps. The final destination of Mount Girnar is Guru Dattatrya. A ropeway project will provide connectivity upto Ambaji. There are Jain and Hindu temples on these peaks.
According to the blue print of the project, its alignment is along Bhavnath Taleti, which is the foothill of Mount Girnar in Junagadh city. Ropeway distance between Bhavnathi Taleti to Ambaji is 2.3 km and ropeway's height is around 850 metres.
- ► 2017 (112)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- Five leopards caught in one day in Sorath (Junagad...
- Agony of the mimic artist
- 139 lions died in 2009-11 in Gujarat
- Around Town : 139 lions died in 3 years: Minister
- 139 Asiatic lions died in Gujarat in last three ye...
- IUCN cautions state against poaching of lions
- Chief Wild Life Warden Visits affected areas by le...
- Lioness attacks young man during Lion Show
- Leopard terror visavadar
- Road to lion conservation
- Leopards die in fight with lion and hyena
- No Space in Leopard Jail, Junagadh
- Lioness get treatment amreli
- Article Water points in Gir to quench thirst of wi...
- Another leopard attack 7 year boy killed
- Junagadh zoogets 2 pigmey marmosets
- Gujarat opposes relocation of Gir lions in apex co...
- Work on lion safari begins in Etawah
- Prist fires on forest department staff
- 14 humans killed in leopard attack in Gir
- Lion family habitates Una coastal area
- Conservation reserve will be declared for lions
- People unhappy with double sided policy of Dhari F...
- Leopard dies in fight with lion at Gadhia
- Don’t bother Gir’s lion
- Leopard kills another kid
- Leopard mauls girl to death in Junagadh
- Leopard is in cage in close house
- Villagers caught leopard
- Fearing for vultures, SC panel picks holes in Mt G...
- No central nod for Girnar ropeway?
- Tiger poachers can kill lions too: Guj
- Gujarat won’t share lions with Madhya Pradesh
- Gir lions: SC hearing put off, issue echoes in Lok...
- Once again full fledged illegal mining near Gir Sa...
- Lioness, injuredin infight, treated on the spot
- Lion attacks man sleeping in dry river bed at Bava...
- ‘Lions are the property of Sorath’
- Battle for the jungle king is fast hotting up
- Poll people to move lions: Panel
- Should Gujarat provide wild Lions to Madhya Prades...
- Vashishta, Himachal Pradesh; Sunday, 17th October,...
- 7. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 6. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 5. The Future if Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- The Future if Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 4. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- Swopping Lions for Tigers.....
- Conservation of expanding distribution range of th...
- India’s lions still being killed, face uncertain f...
- No provision against cat entertainment
- Lion Attach at Amodra Village near Una
- Illegal lion shows a roaring business in Gir sanct...
- Gujarat won’t part with its pride
- Adopt Gir lion as national animal, says Parimal Na...
- PM should head Gir lions project: Nathwani
- Six detained for ‘lion show’ near Amreli village, ...
- Lion as a National Animal
- Steve Mandel, Santa Cruz County Stories: Award-win...
- Lioness photo season
- Rampara Vidi gets gift of three lion cubs
- Gir jungle does not increas in last few years
- Rajkjot – Mumbai residents held at illegal Lion sh...
- Lioness attacks farmer in Dhari
- Lioness attack on farmer
- Leopard kills infant in Sutrapada village
- Water pond for lions liliya
- Sutrapada leopard killed child girl
- Gujarat sugarcane farm shelter of leopard
- Leopard kills infant at Sutrapada
- India’s lions still being killed, face uncertain f...
- Gir Sanctuary lost 86 lions in three years
- One more lioness gives birth to two cubs at Kankra...
- Cute – but endangered – The Lions of Gir
- Lion attacks cleaner at sakkar bag zoo
- Lioness gives birth to two cubs at Kankrach villag...
- Leopard carcass found at Khambha near Visavadar
- Orphaned lionesses learn motherhood at Junagadh zo...
- Lion recognizes our uniforms and voice
- Porcupine deafet lioness in dhari
- Fire in lion's abode, no casualty
- Fire in lion home land
- Leopard attacks teenager in Amreli
- Leopard attack youth unique idea
- ▼ March 2012 (84)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)