Lion as a National Animal
As per the latest Country level assessment undertaken during 2010, the wild population of tigers in the country has been estimated to be 1,707 (1,520 being the lower limit and 1,909 being the upper limit of the estimated range). Further, the population of Asiatic lions in Gir National Park, Sanctuary and other areas of Greater Gir (Brihad Gir) was estimated at 411 by the Government of Gujarat in 2010. This was revealed in Rajya Sabha today by the Minister of State (I/C) for Environment & Forest Smt. Jayanthi Natarajan.
She stated that it is a fact that the Gir forest has the only wild population of Asiatic lion (Panthera leo persica) in the world. The Bengal tiger (Panthera tigris tigris) is a subspecies of tiger native to Indian subcontinent and its geographical range includes most of the States in India. Other than India, the Bengal tiger also occurs in Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan. Tiger was adopted as our National Animal in place of the Lion in a meeting of the Indian Board for Wildlife held in 1972 in view of the following considerations:
(i) Worldwide importance of Tiger and its existence over the entire Country;
(ii) Need for its strict protection all over the Country;
(iii) Tiger is found in as many as 16 States whereas Lion only in one State.
The Minister added that presently, Bengal tiger continues to be our National Animal, and there is no proposal under consideration with the Government to replace it with the Asiatic lion.
Smt. Natarajan further stated that the Planning Commission has approved, in principle, a project for "Conservation of Asiatic lion in Greater Gir Region" to be implemented by the Government of Gujarat over a period of five years at the cost of Rs.262.36 crores including central assistance of Rs.236.63 crores. The project, inter alia, includes creation of infrastructure for promotion of eco-tourism in the Gir forest.
- ► 2017 (109)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- Five leopards caught in one day in Sorath (Junagad...
- Agony of the mimic artist
- 139 lions died in 2009-11 in Gujarat
- Around Town : 139 lions died in 3 years: Minister
- 139 Asiatic lions died in Gujarat in last three ye...
- IUCN cautions state against poaching of lions
- Chief Wild Life Warden Visits affected areas by le...
- Lioness attacks young man during Lion Show
- Leopard terror visavadar
- Road to lion conservation
- Leopards die in fight with lion and hyena
- No Space in Leopard Jail, Junagadh
- Lioness get treatment amreli
- Article Water points in Gir to quench thirst of wi...
- Another leopard attack 7 year boy killed
- Junagadh zoogets 2 pigmey marmosets
- Gujarat opposes relocation of Gir lions in apex co...
- Work on lion safari begins in Etawah
- Prist fires on forest department staff
- 14 humans killed in leopard attack in Gir
- Lion family habitates Una coastal area
- Conservation reserve will be declared for lions
- People unhappy with double sided policy of Dhari F...
- Leopard dies in fight with lion at Gadhia
- Don’t bother Gir’s lion
- Leopard kills another kid
- Leopard mauls girl to death in Junagadh
- Leopard is in cage in close house
- Villagers caught leopard
- Fearing for vultures, SC panel picks holes in Mt G...
- No central nod for Girnar ropeway?
- Tiger poachers can kill lions too: Guj
- Gujarat won’t share lions with Madhya Pradesh
- Gir lions: SC hearing put off, issue echoes in Lok...
- Once again full fledged illegal mining near Gir Sa...
- Lioness, injuredin infight, treated on the spot
- Lion attacks man sleeping in dry river bed at Bava...
- ‘Lions are the property of Sorath’
- Battle for the jungle king is fast hotting up
- Poll people to move lions: Panel
- Should Gujarat provide wild Lions to Madhya Prades...
- Vashishta, Himachal Pradesh; Sunday, 17th October,...
- 7. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 6. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 5. The Future if Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- The Future if Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 4. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- Swopping Lions for Tigers.....
- Conservation of expanding distribution range of th...
- India’s lions still being killed, face uncertain f...
- No provision against cat entertainment
- Lion Attach at Amodra Village near Una
- Illegal lion shows a roaring business in Gir sanct...
- Gujarat won’t part with its pride
- Adopt Gir lion as national animal, says Parimal Na...
- PM should head Gir lions project: Nathwani
- Six detained for ‘lion show’ near Amreli village, ...
- Lion as a National Animal
- Steve Mandel, Santa Cruz County Stories: Award-win...
- Lioness photo season
- Rampara Vidi gets gift of three lion cubs
- Gir jungle does not increas in last few years
- Rajkjot – Mumbai residents held at illegal Lion sh...
- Lioness attacks farmer in Dhari
- Lioness attack on farmer
- Leopard kills infant in Sutrapada village
- Water pond for lions liliya
- Sutrapada leopard killed child girl
- Gujarat sugarcane farm shelter of leopard
- Leopard kills infant at Sutrapada
- India’s lions still being killed, face uncertain f...
- Gir Sanctuary lost 86 lions in three years
- One more lioness gives birth to two cubs at Kankra...
- Cute – but endangered – The Lions of Gir
- Lion attacks cleaner at sakkar bag zoo
- Lioness gives birth to two cubs at Kankrach villag...
- Leopard carcass found at Khambha near Visavadar
- Orphaned lionesses learn motherhood at Junagadh zo...
- Lion recognizes our uniforms and voice
- Porcupine deafet lioness in dhari
- Fire in lion's abode, no casualty
- Fire in lion home land
- Leopard attacks teenager in Amreli
- Leopard attack youth unique idea
- ▼ March 2012 (84)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)