Poll people to move lions: Panel
Times of India
State Wildlife Board members on Friday unanimously resolved that opinions of residents of Saurashtra should be considered before taking any decision on the relocation of Asiatic lions to Kuno Palpur in Madhya Pradesh.
The board met following a directive from the Supreme Court. The SC had directed that individual opinions of all board members from Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh should be taken and produced in the next hearing on the matter.
Lavkumar Kachar, a board member, said, "Lions in Saurashtra region belong to the people living there. These lions don't belong to the government of India or the government of Gujarat."
He added, "The people are important part of the biodiversity of this region. No government or any agency can take a decision without the consent of the people of the Saurashtra region. People of the region have played a major role in lion conservation."
Kachar said that he had also referred to a report of International Union for Conservation of Nature which stated that there is zero possibility of decay of lion populace in the next 100 years.
Chief minister Narendra Modi, who is the chairman of the board, narrated a story when he had visited the lion habitat in 2007. Modi narrated how people assured him that they would tackle the issue of poachers on their own, but the only pre-condition was that the CM should ensure that the lions are not shifted to any other part of the country.
Such were the sentiments of the people of the area, Modi said.
The board officials said that there should be a scientific research before the lions were rehabilitated to MP.
Several board members also raised the issue of poaching of tigers and how the Madhya Pradesh Government has failed to save the tigers, ghariyals and even the great Indian Bustards.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- Five leopards caught in one day in Sorath (Junagad...
- Agony of the mimic artist
- 139 lions died in 2009-11 in Gujarat
- Around Town : 139 lions died in 3 years: Minister
- 139 Asiatic lions died in Gujarat in last three ye...
- IUCN cautions state against poaching of lions
- Chief Wild Life Warden Visits affected areas by le...
- Lioness attacks young man during Lion Show
- Leopard terror visavadar
- Road to lion conservation
- Leopards die in fight with lion and hyena
- No Space in Leopard Jail, Junagadh
- Lioness get treatment amreli
- Article Water points in Gir to quench thirst of wi...
- Another leopard attack 7 year boy killed
- Junagadh zoogets 2 pigmey marmosets
- Gujarat opposes relocation of Gir lions in apex co...
- Work on lion safari begins in Etawah
- Prist fires on forest department staff
- 14 humans killed in leopard attack in Gir
- Lion family habitates Una coastal area
- Conservation reserve will be declared for lions
- People unhappy with double sided policy of Dhari F...
- Leopard dies in fight with lion at Gadhia
- Don’t bother Gir’s lion
- Leopard kills another kid
- Leopard mauls girl to death in Junagadh
- Leopard is in cage in close house
- Villagers caught leopard
- Fearing for vultures, SC panel picks holes in Mt G...
- No central nod for Girnar ropeway?
- Tiger poachers can kill lions too: Guj
- Gujarat won’t share lions with Madhya Pradesh
- Gir lions: SC hearing put off, issue echoes in Lok...
- Once again full fledged illegal mining near Gir Sa...
- Lioness, injuredin infight, treated on the spot
- Lion attacks man sleeping in dry river bed at Bava...
- ‘Lions are the property of Sorath’
- Battle for the jungle king is fast hotting up
- Poll people to move lions: Panel
- Should Gujarat provide wild Lions to Madhya Prades...
- Vashishta, Himachal Pradesh; Sunday, 17th October,...
- 7. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 6. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 5. The Future if Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- The Future if Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 4. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- Swopping Lions for Tigers.....
- Conservation of expanding distribution range of th...
- India’s lions still being killed, face uncertain f...
- No provision against cat entertainment
- Lion Attach at Amodra Village near Una
- Illegal lion shows a roaring business in Gir sanct...
- Gujarat won’t part with its pride
- Adopt Gir lion as national animal, says Parimal Na...
- PM should head Gir lions project: Nathwani
- Six detained for ‘lion show’ near Amreli village, ...
- Lion as a National Animal
- Steve Mandel, Santa Cruz County Stories: Award-win...
- Lioness photo season
- Rampara Vidi gets gift of three lion cubs
- Gir jungle does not increas in last few years
- Rajkjot – Mumbai residents held at illegal Lion sh...
- Lioness attacks farmer in Dhari
- Lioness attack on farmer
- Leopard kills infant in Sutrapada village
- Water pond for lions liliya
- Sutrapada leopard killed child girl
- Gujarat sugarcane farm shelter of leopard
- Leopard kills infant at Sutrapada
- India’s lions still being killed, face uncertain f...
- Gir Sanctuary lost 86 lions in three years
- One more lioness gives birth to two cubs at Kankra...
- Cute – but endangered – The Lions of Gir
- Lion attacks cleaner at sakkar bag zoo
- Lioness gives birth to two cubs at Kankrach villag...
- Leopard carcass found at Khambha near Visavadar
- Orphaned lionesses learn motherhood at Junagadh zo...
- Lion recognizes our uniforms and voice
- Porcupine deafet lioness in dhari
- Fire in lion's abode, no casualty
- Fire in lion home land
- Leopard attacks teenager in Amreli
- Leopard attack youth unique idea
- ▼ March 2012 (84)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)