Six detained for 'lion show' near Amreli village, freed
The Indian Express
Forest officials are investigating an alleged "lion show" hosted in Gir, where six persons were reportedly caught watching lions feasting on a carcass.
Forest officials released the six detained who took part in the show near Amreli village this weekend but remain convinced that this show was organised for money, especially since two of those detained hail from Mumbai and Ahmedabad. The remaining persons hail from the taluka where the 'show' happened.
Deputy Conservator of Forests, Gir (East), Anshuman Sharma, said he was in a jeep with N B Paradwa (a Range Forest Officer of the Tulsishyam range) and another official between 8.30 and 9 pm on Saturday when Paradwa received a tip-off by phone. About thirty vehicles were parked in farmland adjacent to Ghariyar village, with passengers watching lions feasting on an ox carcass, the informer said.
The foresters had immediately rushed for the spot and reached at around 9.30 pm.
Sharma said he could count 10-11 vehicles from the lights, with most making their exit along routes away from where their jeep approached.
However, three vehicles tried to flee from the same route and were apprehended. Two had Rajkot district registration plates (GJ 03), one had a Maharashtra registration, particularly Thane district (MH 04). Inspecting the area, foresters soon found five more lions.
Meanwhile, a large group of more than 150 villagers came to the area and started arguing with the foresters , saying no one can be prosecuted because the incident took place outside the sanctuary.
"I know that villagers around Gir are by and large good and would not harm lions. They are in fact a major reason for the successful conservation story here, but there are a handful of people who are involved in illegal or unethical practices," he said.
While lions and leopards have been known to venture outside the sanctuary, Sharma remains unconvinced the incident happened spontaneously because of the large audience, how "they made their way inside farmland through kilometers of dirt roads" and how they fled helter-skelter upon seeing the authorities.
"It is natural for people in vehicles to stop when they see lions by the roadside and watch them. But how can so many vehicles travel so far along dirt roads inside farmlands, knowing lions were there? It was all about money," he said over phone from Gir.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- Five leopards caught in one day in Sorath (Junagad...
- Agony of the mimic artist
- 139 lions died in 2009-11 in Gujarat
- Around Town : 139 lions died in 3 years: Minister
- 139 Asiatic lions died in Gujarat in last three ye...
- IUCN cautions state against poaching of lions
- Chief Wild Life Warden Visits affected areas by le...
- Lioness attacks young man during Lion Show
- Leopard terror visavadar
- Road to lion conservation
- Leopards die in fight with lion and hyena
- No Space in Leopard Jail, Junagadh
- Lioness get treatment amreli
- Article Water points in Gir to quench thirst of wi...
- Another leopard attack 7 year boy killed
- Junagadh zoogets 2 pigmey marmosets
- Gujarat opposes relocation of Gir lions in apex co...
- Work on lion safari begins in Etawah
- Prist fires on forest department staff
- 14 humans killed in leopard attack in Gir
- Lion family habitates Una coastal area
- Conservation reserve will be declared for lions
- People unhappy with double sided policy of Dhari F...
- Leopard dies in fight with lion at Gadhia
- Don’t bother Gir’s lion
- Leopard kills another kid
- Leopard mauls girl to death in Junagadh
- Leopard is in cage in close house
- Villagers caught leopard
- Fearing for vultures, SC panel picks holes in Mt G...
- No central nod for Girnar ropeway?
- Tiger poachers can kill lions too: Guj
- Gujarat won’t share lions with Madhya Pradesh
- Gir lions: SC hearing put off, issue echoes in Lok...
- Once again full fledged illegal mining near Gir Sa...
- Lioness, injuredin infight, treated on the spot
- Lion attacks man sleeping in dry river bed at Bava...
- ‘Lions are the property of Sorath’
- Battle for the jungle king is fast hotting up
- Poll people to move lions: Panel
- Should Gujarat provide wild Lions to Madhya Prades...
- Vashishta, Himachal Pradesh; Sunday, 17th October,...
- 7. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 6. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 5. The Future if Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- The Future if Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- 4. The Future of Indian Tigers and Asiatic Lions.
- Swopping Lions for Tigers.....
- Conservation of expanding distribution range of th...
- India’s lions still being killed, face uncertain f...
- No provision against cat entertainment
- Lion Attach at Amodra Village near Una
- Illegal lion shows a roaring business in Gir sanct...
- Gujarat won’t part with its pride
- Adopt Gir lion as national animal, says Parimal Na...
- PM should head Gir lions project: Nathwani
- Six detained for ‘lion show’ near Amreli village, ...
- Lion as a National Animal
- Steve Mandel, Santa Cruz County Stories: Award-win...
- Lioness photo season
- Rampara Vidi gets gift of three lion cubs
- Gir jungle does not increas in last few years
- Rajkjot – Mumbai residents held at illegal Lion sh...
- Lioness attacks farmer in Dhari
- Lioness attack on farmer
- Leopard kills infant in Sutrapada village
- Water pond for lions liliya
- Sutrapada leopard killed child girl
- Gujarat sugarcane farm shelter of leopard
- Leopard kills infant at Sutrapada
- India’s lions still being killed, face uncertain f...
- Gir Sanctuary lost 86 lions in three years
- One more lioness gives birth to two cubs at Kankra...
- Cute – but endangered – The Lions of Gir
- Lion attacks cleaner at sakkar bag zoo
- Lioness gives birth to two cubs at Kankrach villag...
- Leopard carcass found at Khambha near Visavadar
- Orphaned lionesses learn motherhood at Junagadh zo...
- Lion recognizes our uniforms and voice
- Porcupine deafet lioness in dhari
- Fire in lion's abode, no casualty
- Fire in lion home land
- Leopard attacks teenager in Amreli
- Leopard attack youth unique idea
- ▼ March 2012 (84)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)