Poachers' bail plea gets HC push
Times of India
The kingpin of the lion poaching gang in Gir Sanctuary, Sarkaslal Parghi, who was convicted by a Junagadh court, has moved the Gujarat High Court seeking early hearing of his bail plea. The high court has also directed the lower court to expedite proceedings on his bail petition, while his appeal against the punishment of three-year jail is pending.
Three lions were killed on March 3, 2007 and three more slaughtered on March 29 in Babaria range falling under the Gir forest. State government and the forest department nabbed members of Parghi community from Madhya Pradesh in Amreli district. Sarkaslal was arrested from Una town in April 2007.
The accused were booked and sent to Junagadh jail. Their trial lasted 18 months and at the end of it, judge RK Makwana held them guilty and sentenced them to three years' rigorous imprisonment on October 23, 2008.
They filed an appeal against their conviction before a Junagadh sessions court, and during pendency of their appeal before the Junagadh district court they sought release from the jail by moving a bail plea.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Cattle Killing by Lions
- Lioness attack at Chhapariyali in Greater Gir
- Seven year lion dies in Babra vidi
- Lion attack at Monvel in Gir East
- Parting at Modern Farm Houses in Forest area near ...
- Poachers’ bail plea gets HC push
- Train fails mid-jungle in Gir
- Lion attack at Jeera
- Leopard killed by lion
- Lion and Leopard attack two man
- Three cheers to Gir Lion fans! Population on rise....
- More wells around Gir covered after government hik...
- No tigers in MP’s Panna means Gir keeps lions’ sha...
- Indian pitta, pied crested cuckoo arrive at Hingol...
- Barda sanctuary faces threat from mining
- Gir sanctuary to be closed from June 16 to Oct 15
- HC reserves order on sale of 300 Gir plots
- Carcass of Leopard found; Ill lioness dies
- Maintain status quo on land around Gir: HC
- Lion attacks farmer at Anjar village
- 5 sarpanchs get notices for their involvement in c...
- Forest dept failed to sniff plot against Lion cons...
- Girnar ropeway could harm vulture conservation
- ‘Forensics can easily be used in wildlife’
- Land in lions’ abode sold illegally
- Wildlife splendours of the world’s only Asiatic li...
- Pride and joy: Family of white lions prepare to le...
- Lions kill at Khisri
- Five arrested for possession of lion claw in Amrel...
- European experts undertake Girnar ropeway survey
- ▼ June 2009 (30)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)