European experts undertake Girnar ropeway survey
Times of India
JUNAGADH: Promoters of 'Udan Khatola', the ambitious ropeway project of Girnar, have begun a pre-project survey of the mountains. The decades-old
project, which has yet to see the light of day, has shown some signs of a headway with this survey.
"Girnar ropeway project has finally been revived," said Dipak Kapilesh, western regional head of Usha Breco, promoter of the company. "A nine-member team has started a six-day survey from April 2. The team consists of experts from Doppelmayr, a leading Austrian ropeway company with which we've collaborated. The company has major market share and has laid 150 ropeways in Europe last year," he said.
"We want to make Girnar ropeway project of international standard.
"So far, the survey has covered upper and lower stations. On Saturday, we undertook ropeway's central line survey and design work," Kapilesh said. "Till the final clearance, we will not be allowed to touch the grounds. So till then, we are completing the initial survey and design work," he said.
Planned in 1968, the project has been delayed for various reasons since its foundation stone was laid by Chief Minister Narendra Modi in May 2007. But, after Girnar forest covering around 180 sq km and including Mount Girnar was declared wildlife sanctuary on May 31, 2008, the project went for approval to the Union Ministry of Environment and Forest.
Recently, Usha Breco Ltd was asked to identify alternate routes as the land it has got is located in Girnar wildlife sanctuary.
Asked about the clearance, Kapilesh said, "We will obtain environment clearance certificate from the ministry by June-July, and then we will start the project work," he added. "We have submitted detailed report and environmental assessment reports to GPCB and expect to get a clearance. As for the alternate route, we have suggested the best possible route to the ministry that will cause minimal damage to the environment," he said.
- ► 2017 (107)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Cattle Killing by Lions
- Lioness attack at Chhapariyali in Greater Gir
- Seven year lion dies in Babra vidi
- Lion attack at Monvel in Gir East
- Parting at Modern Farm Houses in Forest area near ...
- Poachers’ bail plea gets HC push
- Train fails mid-jungle in Gir
- Lion attack at Jeera
- Leopard killed by lion
- Lion and Leopard attack two man
- Three cheers to Gir Lion fans! Population on rise....
- More wells around Gir covered after government hik...
- No tigers in MP’s Panna means Gir keeps lions’ sha...
- Indian pitta, pied crested cuckoo arrive at Hingol...
- Barda sanctuary faces threat from mining
- Gir sanctuary to be closed from June 16 to Oct 15
- HC reserves order on sale of 300 Gir plots
- Carcass of Leopard found; Ill lioness dies
- Maintain status quo on land around Gir: HC
- Lion attacks farmer at Anjar village
- 5 sarpanchs get notices for their involvement in c...
- Forest dept failed to sniff plot against Lion cons...
- Girnar ropeway could harm vulture conservation
- ‘Forensics can easily be used in wildlife’
- Land in lions’ abode sold illegally
- Wildlife splendours of the world’s only Asiatic li...
- Pride and joy: Family of white lions prepare to le...
- Lions kill at Khisri
- Five arrested for possession of lion claw in Amrel...
- European experts undertake Girnar ropeway survey
- ▼ June 2009 (30)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)