State govt allocates Rs 10 cr for Ambardi lion interpretation zone
Times of India
The state government has allocated Rs 10 crore for set-ting up the second lion interpretation zone in Ambardi near Dhari in Amreli.This would come as a major boon for tourists who want to see lions in Gir nearer to Diu.
Ambardi promises a whole new tourist circuit which will include Gir National Park (Junagadh-Saurastra), Tulsishyam and Diu for the Amdavadi and south Gujarat backpackers. While, the second sight-ing zone is being set up near Khodiyar Dam as so far, lions were spot-ted only in parts around Sasan in Junagadh district.
Officials said this area would be developed on the lines of Devalia in-terpretation zone for Asiatic lions, making it easier tourists as they can visit Gir National Park (Junagadh-Saurastra) and Diu in a single trip. Till now, travellers were forced to take a longer route from Ju-nagadh, Sasan, Kodinar and finally Diu,which is over 500 km from Ahmedabad. But now, after developing Ambardi as tourist spot, one can directly head for Amreli and from there to Kodinar via Tulsish-yam and to Diu, saving around 100 km.
Officials said that earlier the state government had sanctioned Rs 4.7 crore for the interpretation zone which was later revised to Rs 10 crore project. But now, with the government planning to have lions as it main face of tourism, the tourism department has sanctioned the remaining amount and the same has been dispersed to the forest de-partment for speedy action.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Leopard attack: Two injured in Junagadh
- Details of existing cases filed by Amit Jethwa
- Ramesh nod to reintroduce cheetah in 3 sites
- Cheetahs will find a home in India again
- Gujarat misses out on cheetah
- Jethava murder: ‘Missing’ MP says not guilty in ad...
- Jethava murder: Police close in on suspects
- Shaken by Jethava’s killing, senior activist gives...
- Amit Jethava murder: Police team visits Junagadh t...
- Police teams sent to Junagadh to investigate RTI a...
- Slain RTI activist's dad says BJP MP to blame
- His show must go on, says close friend
- FIR on illegal mining was filed 3 days ago
- Jethava was feared, mocked at in state forest dept...
- CONTESTED 2007 ASSEMBLY POLLS
- Cops mismanaged crime scene
- ‘I suspect Junagadh MP for my son’s murder’
- How police let killers escape
- Wildlife activist shot dead near HC
- RTI activist shot dead near Gujarat high court
- Green activist shot dead near High Court
- Crackdown on illegal mining near Gir
- Translocation of lions: Prey base main contention ...
- Gir has prey base of 56 animals per sq km
- SHIFTING OF LIONS
- Lioness dies of old age in Gir
- Second abondened cub dies
- One of the two abondened cub dies
- Villagers kill leopard after it attacks 9 in Banas...
- State govt allocates Rs 10 cr for Ambardi lion int...
- Two cubs alondened by mother
- Safari permits will not be increased
- Seamless coverage of Gir sanctuary
- BELLING THE BIG CAT
- Gir collects Rs 2 crore from tourist inflow
- Post Big B visit, tourism dept seeks hike in Gir v...
- Leopard attacks sleeping woman
- ▼ July 2010 (37)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)