Jethava was feared, mocked at in state forest dept
Wildlife and RTI activist Amit Jethava's murder has come as a shock for the forest department officials, many of whom were at the receiving end of his RTI queries and activism.
Senior forest officials confirmed even before Right To Information (RTI) Act was enforced, the state department of Environment and Forests had issued a directive asking all its officers to take action on issues raised by Jethava only on their merit.
A senior forest official recalled the one-line circular that mentioned, "Amit Jethava na akshepo upar dhyan levo nahi. (do not consider any allegations from Jethava).
Many forest officials had even complained of harassment from Jethava, who objected to the promotion of a few of them. The promotion of director of environment J K Vyas was recently quashed by the High Court following Jethava's objection. Vyas refused to comment.
Jethava was State wildlife Advisory Board's member for a short term, between 2003-04. "Most of the members are known wildlife activists. The forest department dismissed him after they came to know that Jethava was suspended from Amerli Community Health Centre," said a senior forest official.
Only a week ago, the forest department replied to Jethava's affidavits in the SC. There were three — one related to the issue of Hanuman Ashram encroachment at Gir National Park and Sanctuary, the second was about a road in Gir and the third about the Parikrama of pilgrims around Girnar Temple.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Leopard attack: Two injured in Junagadh
- Details of existing cases filed by Amit Jethwa
- Ramesh nod to reintroduce cheetah in 3 sites
- Cheetahs will find a home in India again
- Gujarat misses out on cheetah
- Jethava murder: ‘Missing’ MP says not guilty in ad...
- Jethava murder: Police close in on suspects
- Shaken by Jethava’s killing, senior activist gives...
- Amit Jethava murder: Police team visits Junagadh t...
- Police teams sent to Junagadh to investigate RTI a...
- Slain RTI activist's dad says BJP MP to blame
- His show must go on, says close friend
- FIR on illegal mining was filed 3 days ago
- Jethava was feared, mocked at in state forest dept...
- CONTESTED 2007 ASSEMBLY POLLS
- Cops mismanaged crime scene
- ‘I suspect Junagadh MP for my son’s murder’
- How police let killers escape
- Wildlife activist shot dead near HC
- RTI activist shot dead near Gujarat high court
- Green activist shot dead near High Court
- Crackdown on illegal mining near Gir
- Translocation of lions: Prey base main contention ...
- Gir has prey base of 56 animals per sq km
- SHIFTING OF LIONS
- Lioness dies of old age in Gir
- Second abondened cub dies
- One of the two abondened cub dies
- Villagers kill leopard after it attacks 9 in Banas...
- State govt allocates Rs 10 cr for Ambardi lion int...
- Two cubs alondened by mother
- Safari permits will not be increased
- Seamless coverage of Gir sanctuary
- BELLING THE BIG CAT
- Gir collects Rs 2 crore from tourist inflow
- Post Big B visit, tourism dept seeks hike in Gir v...
- Leopard attacks sleeping woman
- ▼ July 2010 (37)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)