His show must go on, says close friend
Amit Jethava's friend Bhaga Dhakan, who was the co-founder and former president of the Gir Nature Youth Club (GNYC), said the club would continue its campaign on issues related to environment and forests with help from its 4,000 volunteers in at least 15 villages.
Dhakan, who was childhood friend of Jethava, said the club just had 15 members when it started five years ago. "I could not give full time to the club due to my family business in gold at Khamba. Just a year after the club started, I handed over the entire management to Jethava," said Dhakhan while carrying Jethava's body to their hometown of Khamba for the last rites.
In the beginning, GNYC activity was restricted to conducting youth camps. It is now active in villages like Mangrol, Jamnagar, Mahuva, Kodinar, Unai, Jafrabad, Rajula, Khamba, Jamagar and many more in Saurashtra. "Jethava showed great vigour in the club. He almost dedicated his life to the issues like environment and forests. His income were used as funds for the club," said Dhakan.
He, however, refused to comment about who could be responsible for Jethava's murder. "He never discussed any issue with us. He never said if someone is threatening him. Most of the issues were legal and his paperwork was always perfect."
His last PIL named Solanki
In his last Public Interest Litigation (PIL) filed before the Gujarat High Court, slain activist Amit Jethava had sought directions to the authorities to get the illegal limestone mining in the periphery of Gir Lion Sanctuary and National Park stopped.
Jethava had accused BJP MP from Junagadh, Dinu Solanki, of being actively involved in the illegal mining. The Division Bench of HC headed by the Chief Justice S J Mukhopadhaya is hearing the petition.
Following are the excerpts of the PIL with Jethava making direct allegations against Solanki and one of his cousins: "...All the mining activities in Una and Kodinar taluka are carried out by one political personality, who is presently member of Parliament from Junagadh and is a former MLA from Kodinar, Mr Dinubhai Boghabhai Solanki, and his cousin Mr Shiva @ Pratap Hamirbhai Solanki, who is the president of Kodinar Nagarpalika." "He (Dinu Solanki) is also running illegal blacktrap mines and stone crusher in gauchar land bearing survey no. 131 of Gir border Village Pichhvi."
The court had admitted the petition and even allowed Jethava to implead Dinu and Shiva Solanki as respondents.
"Pendency of this case shall not stand in the way of the state authorities to take immediate measures to stop illegal mining, if going on in the area," the HC said.
- ► 2017 (154)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Leopard attack: Two injured in Junagadh
- Details of existing cases filed by Amit Jethwa
- Ramesh nod to reintroduce cheetah in 3 sites
- Cheetahs will find a home in India again
- Gujarat misses out on cheetah
- Jethava murder: ‘Missing’ MP says not guilty in ad...
- Jethava murder: Police close in on suspects
- Shaken by Jethava’s killing, senior activist gives...
- Amit Jethava murder: Police team visits Junagadh t...
- Police teams sent to Junagadh to investigate RTI a...
- Slain RTI activist's dad says BJP MP to blame
- His show must go on, says close friend
- FIR on illegal mining was filed 3 days ago
- Jethava was feared, mocked at in state forest dept...
- CONTESTED 2007 ASSEMBLY POLLS
- Cops mismanaged crime scene
- ‘I suspect Junagadh MP for my son’s murder’
- How police let killers escape
- Wildlife activist shot dead near HC
- RTI activist shot dead near Gujarat high court
- Green activist shot dead near High Court
- Crackdown on illegal mining near Gir
- Translocation of lions: Prey base main contention ...
- Gir has prey base of 56 animals per sq km
- SHIFTING OF LIONS
- Lioness dies of old age in Gir
- Second abondened cub dies
- One of the two abondened cub dies
- Villagers kill leopard after it attacks 9 in Banas...
- State govt allocates Rs 10 cr for Ambardi lion int...
- Two cubs alondened by mother
- Safari permits will not be increased
- Seamless coverage of Gir sanctuary
- BELLING THE BIG CAT
- Gir collects Rs 2 crore from tourist inflow
- Post Big B visit, tourism dept seeks hike in Gir v...
- Leopard attacks sleeping woman
- ▼ July 2010 (37)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)