Slain RTI activist's dad says BJP MP to blame
Times of India
A day after green activist Amit Jethava was killed outside the Gujarat high court, investigators have got clues to suggest that it was a contract killing carried out by goons from Saurashtra region.
The victim's father, Bhikhu Jethava, on Tuesday said: "I suspect Junagadh BJP MP Dinu Solanki for the murder of my son, who had recently submitted an affidavit to the Kodinar police expressing fear that he may be killed by Solanki. My son had filed an RTI application and also a PIL in the Gujarat HC against Solanki."
Jethava was gunned down at 8.45pm soon after he came out of the bar council's office in Satyamev complex — opposite the HC — to get into his car. According to Sola police station officers, the assailants had come on a bike and shot him with a country-made revolver. "We have got some clues from the scene of crime. Different teams have been constituted and sent to Junagadh to track the killers," said HM Kundaliya, inspector of Sola police station. "Eyewitnesses said Jethava tried to catch the two killers. A scuffle ensued and the duo fled the spot, leaving their bike and one of the pistols. The bike's number is fake," said a police officer.
Jethava was a former government employee who had been suspended for some irregularities. He turned into a wildlife activist based in Dhari, and established the Gir Nature Club. Eventually, he ventured into other areas of environmental activism and used RTI Act to dig out information about wrongdoing committed by industries and officials.
Till about 2005, Jethava used to travel from Dhari to Ahmedabad in a bus to meet his lawyers through whom he used to fight several environment-related cases. However, in recent times, he had purchased an office and residential apartment in Ahmedabad and used to travel in his personal vehicle.
- ► 2017 (112)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Leopard attack: Two injured in Junagadh
- Details of existing cases filed by Amit Jethwa
- Ramesh nod to reintroduce cheetah in 3 sites
- Cheetahs will find a home in India again
- Gujarat misses out on cheetah
- Jethava murder: ‘Missing’ MP says not guilty in ad...
- Jethava murder: Police close in on suspects
- Shaken by Jethava’s killing, senior activist gives...
- Amit Jethava murder: Police team visits Junagadh t...
- Police teams sent to Junagadh to investigate RTI a...
- Slain RTI activist's dad says BJP MP to blame
- His show must go on, says close friend
- FIR on illegal mining was filed 3 days ago
- Jethava was feared, mocked at in state forest dept...
- CONTESTED 2007 ASSEMBLY POLLS
- Cops mismanaged crime scene
- ‘I suspect Junagadh MP for my son’s murder’
- How police let killers escape
- Wildlife activist shot dead near HC
- RTI activist shot dead near Gujarat high court
- Green activist shot dead near High Court
- Crackdown on illegal mining near Gir
- Translocation of lions: Prey base main contention ...
- Gir has prey base of 56 animals per sq km
- SHIFTING OF LIONS
- Lioness dies of old age in Gir
- Second abondened cub dies
- One of the two abondened cub dies
- Villagers kill leopard after it attacks 9 in Banas...
- State govt allocates Rs 10 cr for Ambardi lion int...
- Two cubs alondened by mother
- Safari permits will not be increased
- Seamless coverage of Gir sanctuary
- BELLING THE BIG CAT
- Gir collects Rs 2 crore from tourist inflow
- Post Big B visit, tourism dept seeks hike in Gir v...
- Leopard attacks sleeping woman
- ▼ July 2010 (37)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)