How police let killers escape
Times of India
Environment activist Amit Jethava was killed right in front of policemen inside a patrolling vehicle. Eye witnesses say the cops did precious little to chase the assailants or shift Jethava to hospital.
At 8.45 pm, when Jethava came out of the Satyamev complex and was shot, a police patrol car was parked at a short distance. Eye witnesses say two cops rushed out of the car after hearing the solitary shot that killed Jethava. They saw the victim falling on the road and rushed back inside the car to send wireless messages.
Jethava by then had turned and lunged at his assailants. He got hold of one of them. However, owing to heavy blood loss, he lost the grip and collapsed on the road.
The police started chasing the killers much later. "Sniffer dogs took us to the escape route of the goons. One of them had slipped and fallen in a muddy stretch of road. However, after some distance the trail died out, suggesting they could have fled in a vehicle from there," said police investigators. Eye witnesses claimed that while Jethava was lying on the road with blood oozing out of the bullet wound in his back, he was mumbling something. The cops, however, made no attempt to record what could have been his dying declaration.
The complaint of murder in this case has been lodged by Indrasinh Vaghela, a constable of Sola police station. Vaghela says he was returning home from work when he heard the shot and rushed to the site.
Vaghela in his complaint said that when he reached the spot, he saw the killers trying to escape but could not catch up with them. This sounds incredible as the two assailants escaped on foot, while Vaghela was on his motorbike.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Leopard attack: Two injured in Junagadh
- Details of existing cases filed by Amit Jethwa
- Ramesh nod to reintroduce cheetah in 3 sites
- Cheetahs will find a home in India again
- Gujarat misses out on cheetah
- Jethava murder: ‘Missing’ MP says not guilty in ad...
- Jethava murder: Police close in on suspects
- Shaken by Jethava’s killing, senior activist gives...
- Amit Jethava murder: Police team visits Junagadh t...
- Police teams sent to Junagadh to investigate RTI a...
- Slain RTI activist's dad says BJP MP to blame
- His show must go on, says close friend
- FIR on illegal mining was filed 3 days ago
- Jethava was feared, mocked at in state forest dept...
- CONTESTED 2007 ASSEMBLY POLLS
- Cops mismanaged crime scene
- ‘I suspect Junagadh MP for my son’s murder’
- How police let killers escape
- Wildlife activist shot dead near HC
- RTI activist shot dead near Gujarat high court
- Green activist shot dead near High Court
- Crackdown on illegal mining near Gir
- Translocation of lions: Prey base main contention ...
- Gir has prey base of 56 animals per sq km
- SHIFTING OF LIONS
- Lioness dies of old age in Gir
- Second abondened cub dies
- One of the two abondened cub dies
- Villagers kill leopard after it attacks 9 in Banas...
- State govt allocates Rs 10 cr for Ambardi lion int...
- Two cubs alondened by mother
- Safari permits will not be increased
- Seamless coverage of Gir sanctuary
- BELLING THE BIG CAT
- Gir collects Rs 2 crore from tourist inflow
- Post Big B visit, tourism dept seeks hike in Gir v...
- Leopard attacks sleeping woman
- ▼ July 2010 (37)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)