DD to telecast special show on gir forests on 8 March
NEW DELHI: Doordarshan is set to telecast a special programme in its wild adventure segment on 8 March.
To be screened at 11 am, the programme will showcase the Bedi Brothers (known for their films on flora and fauna) traveling in a balloon over the isolated hilly forests of Sasan Gir, home to the last of the Asian Lions or Gir Lion.
The area has a mix of low volcanic rocky hills and open spaces, dominated by teak, dry-deciduous forest.
With the effort and protection of the Forest Department, the number of lions has increased, though only about three hundred fifty survive today. Some have moved
out of the Sanctuary areas to establish their new home. The Gujarat Government is trying to provide them protection. There is always the lurking possibility of an outbreak of disease or drought which could wipe out the entire species in one merciless stroke.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Four African cheetahs arrive at Sakkarbag
- Leopard injures farmer in swimming pool
- 'Dearth of animal trackers'
- Leopard attacked two
- Lion Attacks farmer
- Leopard injures 5-yr-old boy in Amreli village
- 3 lions from Junagadh reach Singapore
- State to get pair of cheetahs soon
- Youth nabbed with gun in Gir
- 1 chinkara, 3 neelgais found dead in Gir
- Gir croc kills photographer
- Three peacocks poached
- Main accused in Chinkara poaching held
- Forest fire in Pipalva in Gir East
- Cattle Killing by Lions
- Gir forest fire: Is Centre's order motivated?
- 2 lion cubs found dead near Gir
- Two cubs Killed
- On held for Chinkara death in Amreli
- Foresters are content with retired vets
- DD to telecast special show on gir forests on 8 Ma...
- Solitary reaper: Only one voter in Gujarat polling...
- ▼ March 2009 (22)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)