2 lion cubs found dead near Gir
Times of India
BHAVNAGAR: Two lion cubs were found dead on the outskirts of Rani village, bordering Gir forest that falls in Jesar taluka of Bhavnagar district on
Thursday morning. Investigations revealed the cubs were killed by a lion of another pride during a fight among themselves, said foresters here.
"Villagers spotted the carcasses and notified us," said a forest official, who had rushed to the spot. According to him, the cubs were apparently killed by an adult lion out of rivalry between two prides and did not die of poaching as was earlier suspected. "The injury marks on cubs' bodies showed deep wounds caused by teeth and claws of a male lion," he said.
These types of killings are common among lion prides. Usually when a lioness defects to another pride and gives birth in that pride, the lion of the former pride hunts down the cubs," the forester said.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Four African cheetahs arrive at Sakkarbag
- Leopard injures farmer in swimming pool
- 'Dearth of animal trackers'
- Leopard attacked two
- Lion Attacks farmer
- Leopard injures 5-yr-old boy in Amreli village
- 3 lions from Junagadh reach Singapore
- State to get pair of cheetahs soon
- Youth nabbed with gun in Gir
- 1 chinkara, 3 neelgais found dead in Gir
- Gir croc kills photographer
- Three peacocks poached
- Main accused in Chinkara poaching held
- Forest fire in Pipalva in Gir East
- Cattle Killing by Lions
- Gir forest fire: Is Centre's order motivated?
- 2 lion cubs found dead near Gir
- Two cubs Killed
- On held for Chinkara death in Amreli
- Foresters are content with retired vets
- DD to telecast special show on gir forests on 8 Ma...
- Solitary reaper: Only one voter in Gujarat polling...
- ▼ March 2009 (22)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)