Monday, June 21, 2010
LION’S DAY OUT
LION'S DAY OUT
Times of India
Big cats take a stroll on this Amreli road, command respect of locals
A pride of lions was captured in the lens of wildlife photographer Dilip Jiruka as they swaggered along a road passing through Bhuva village in Amreli on Saturday afternoon. The stretch falls in the Gir sanctuary area.
It was a sight to behold — lions and humans sharing the same space amicably. The big cats did not attack passers-by as they moved along at a leisurely pace for about two hours. "They seemed to be enjoying their time in the rain during a brief spell," Jiruka said.
Forest officers said the lions often take this stretch to go to Shetrunji river for a drink. They even sit down on the road, blocking traffic for hours. Interestingly, as the lions moved without fear, the locals, who are now used to these beasts in their neighbourhood, were equally calm in their presence.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Experience of Counting Lions at Gir 2010
- 15 held for selling fake wildlife skin, bones in B...
- Great Indian bustard may soon be extinct
- Lioness dies in Kankaria zoo
- Tourists increase after Big B shot in Gir
- Deserted cub rescued by forest officials
- Arizona Restaurant Serves Lion Meat To Mark World ...
- Only one big cat left at zoo
- Lion cub found dead in Amreli
- Vulture population may have shrunk to less than 1,...
- Two leopards fall in well, one dies
- LION’S DAY OUT
- Leopard dies after falling into well
- Forest department plans breeding centres to widen ...
- New uniform for forest officials in Gir
- Lioness gives birth to 3 cubs
- Lioness gives birth to 3 cubs in Gir forest
- Two leopards found dead in Visavadar
- Two leopard carcasses recovered
- Baby leopard dies in road accident
- Gir Lion Sanctuary to close for visitors from June...
- Tracking the tiger killers
- Lioness dies in Amreli after falling in well
- Amitabh Bachchan spends Thursday shooting with lio...
- Sher ki kahani, Bachchan ki zubaani
- Bachchan in Gir forest to shoot advt with lions
- Vulture nests to hit Girnar ropeway plan?
- There are bungles in the EIA report of Girnar Rope...
- 69 rare vultures live at proposed Girnar rope-way ...
- ▼ June 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)