Lioness dies in Amreli after falling in well
Press Trust of India
In a freak accident, a lioness from the Sasan Gir forest, died here today after falling in a well without a protective wall, forest officials said.
The incident took place in Chakrawaparah village of Khamba taluka in Amreli district when a lioness chasing her prey, a blue bull, fell into a well and died, they said.
During the chase, the blue bull also fell into the well, forest officials said.
A part of the Sasan Gir forest, the last abode of Asiatic Lions, falls in Amreli district, where lions are found roaming freely and sometime hunting their prey.
Lioness are in the category of schedule-1 species, whose existence is considered to be on the verge of extinction.
During the recently concluded census in Gir forests it was found that there are 411 lions in the area.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Experience of Counting Lions at Gir 2010
- 15 held for selling fake wildlife skin, bones in B...
- Great Indian bustard may soon be extinct
- Lioness dies in Kankaria zoo
- Tourists increase after Big B shot in Gir
- Deserted cub rescued by forest officials
- Arizona Restaurant Serves Lion Meat To Mark World ...
- Only one big cat left at zoo
- Lion cub found dead in Amreli
- Vulture population may have shrunk to less than 1,...
- Two leopards fall in well, one dies
- LION’S DAY OUT
- Leopard dies after falling into well
- Forest department plans breeding centres to widen ...
- New uniform for forest officials in Gir
- Lioness gives birth to 3 cubs
- Lioness gives birth to 3 cubs in Gir forest
- Two leopards found dead in Visavadar
- Two leopard carcasses recovered
- Baby leopard dies in road accident
- Gir Lion Sanctuary to close for visitors from June...
- Tracking the tiger killers
- Lioness dies in Amreli after falling in well
- Amitabh Bachchan spends Thursday shooting with lio...
- Sher ki kahani, Bachchan ki zubaani
- Bachchan in Gir forest to shoot advt with lions
- Vulture nests to hit Girnar ropeway plan?
- There are bungles in the EIA report of Girnar Rope...
- 69 rare vultures live at proposed Girnar rope-way ...
- ▼ June 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)