Lioness dies in Kankaria zoo
Times of India
The friendly lioness Okha, 18, at Kamla Nehru Zoological Garden in Kankaria who celebrated her birthday a week ago, died on Friday afternoon.
Okha was a hybrid breed of Asian-African lion family. She was one among the four cubs born in the zoo in 1992 to lion couple Shankar-Parvati.
On the death, zoo superintendent, RK Sahu said, "Okha was not keeping well and had stopped eating food. On her last day, she suffered massive seizure attacks. In the guidance of zoo doctors, Okha was given life-saving injections. She responded well."
Sahu added, "We started treatment under the guidance of experts from Anand Veterinary College. However, again on Friday afternoon, Okha started shaking rapidly and uncontrollably and later collapsed." Recollecting about Okha, Sahu said, "She was bottlefeeded after her mother died few days after giving birth. She was popular among kids and not very ferocious in nature."
The average life of lion is around 15-16 years. Okha's dead body has been sent to Anand Veterinary college for postmortem. "The preliminary report suggests death due to old age and mengatis, an inflammation of the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord," said Sahu.
The dead body will be cremated as per guidelines of Central Zoo Authority. At present, the zoo has one pair of Asiatic lions Ambaradi-Pooja and one African hybrid lion, Ganesh.
- ► 2017 (112)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Experience of Counting Lions at Gir 2010
- 15 held for selling fake wildlife skin, bones in B...
- Great Indian bustard may soon be extinct
- Lioness dies in Kankaria zoo
- Tourists increase after Big B shot in Gir
- Deserted cub rescued by forest officials
- Arizona Restaurant Serves Lion Meat To Mark World ...
- Only one big cat left at zoo
- Lion cub found dead in Amreli
- Vulture population may have shrunk to less than 1,...
- Two leopards fall in well, one dies
- LION’S DAY OUT
- Leopard dies after falling into well
- Forest department plans breeding centres to widen ...
- New uniform for forest officials in Gir
- Lioness gives birth to 3 cubs
- Lioness gives birth to 3 cubs in Gir forest
- Two leopards found dead in Visavadar
- Two leopard carcasses recovered
- Baby leopard dies in road accident
- Gir Lion Sanctuary to close for visitors from June...
- Tracking the tiger killers
- Lioness dies in Amreli after falling in well
- Amitabh Bachchan spends Thursday shooting with lio...
- Sher ki kahani, Bachchan ki zubaani
- Bachchan in Gir forest to shoot advt with lions
- Vulture nests to hit Girnar ropeway plan?
- There are bungles in the EIA report of Girnar Rope...
- 69 rare vultures live at proposed Girnar rope-way ...
- ▼ June 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)