Such crimes need mix of experts to be solved
Times of India
Gujarat Forensic Science University at Gandhinagar, along with Wildlife Institute of India (WII) at Dehradun and, Traffic India, kick-started a unique workshop on wildlife crime management for IFS officials from various tiger reserves across the country on Monday.
The week-long tailor-made course has been designed by the wildlife crime experts from DFS, Gandhinagar, WII and Traffic, said officials. The workshop will focus on various aspects of wildlife crimes — poaching, tactics used by poachers, crime scene management, legal position of law enforces, case studies and practical tools and techniques available to forest officials.
Director general of DFS, JM Vyas, said that Gujarat's Gir lion poaching case has now been adopted as a case study across the country. "DFS played a major role in collecting evidences and linking the crime to poachers. The incident has given a new dimension to the role of forensics in any wildlife crime cases. One needs a number of experts — ballistics, toxicology, chemistry and biology, along with conventional forensic experts. We have a pool of experts who are working on various cases from all over the country," he said.
Pradeep Khanna, principal chief conservator of forest, Gujarat, said: "When such crimes are on rise, knowledge of tools and technology of forensics will greatly enhance the capacity of forest officials. Evidences collected by forensic experts can create a watertight case against offenders," he said.
"In the last five years there has been a dramatic change of perception for us in context with forensic investigations. Now, all police personnel in Gujarat are being put through a basic course in forensics," said SS Khandwawala, director general of police, Gujarat.
The workshop has participants from major sanctuaries such as Ranthambhor, Corbett National Park, Kaziranga, Sariska, UP Tiger Reserve, Nagarjun Sagar, Periyar and Valmiki. Though tiger conservation is a priority for the officials, other crimes will also be given due importance, said organisers.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Such crimes need mix of experts to be solved
- Gir poaching case, milestone for forensics
- ‘WILDLIFE LAWS NEED MORE CLAWS’
- Cracking of 2007 lion poaching case
- Not M-P, Gir lions are going to China
- Girl attacked by leopard in Veraval village, serio...
- Two cubs fall in Open Well
- Forest fire in Gir East
- Sasans only vet quits after pay cut
- Leopard caught, sent to Junagadh zoo
- READERS RESPONSE
- Wildlife protection Act needs more fangs
- Gang of 10 poachers behind leopard's death
- Guj rejects Centre's offer to swap lions with tige...
- Gujarat not interested in tiger-lion swap
- Man spent night on three to save himself from lion...
- Lion poaching: Kingpin set free
- Centre offers tigers for Guj’s lions
- High-tech gadgets to be used for tracking lions at...
- Leopard injures three in Talala village
- In fight between two lions
- Young man escaped leopard attack
- Sakkarbag zoo full of “attacking” leopards
- Finally Bhavnath’s Man-eater(?) leopard caught
- 7 peacocks found dead in Amreli village
- Forest officials suspect land sharks behind Victor...
- Baby leopards killed by another leopard
- Leopard kills One at Bhavnath
- Leopard trapped in Ghogha, dies
- Tigers for Lions! Reactions by By: Resp Shri Lavk...
- Forest dept to employ GIS for Asiatic lion census
- Cops on alert, leopard still on prowl
- WHAT ABOUT THE LION REHABILITATION
- State opposes shifting of Gir lions to MP tiger re...
- Leopards rule in the last abode of Asiatic lions
- Move to relocate lions from Gir reserve splits BJP...
- Gujarat opposes transfer of Gir lions
- Lion get young man by neck
- Leopard kills two in Veraval
- Gujarat opposes shifting lion sanctuary to MP tige...
- Boy saved from leopard jaws
- Leopard attacking human always gets life term impr...
- Pride reaches Hamapur near Bagasara
- Leopard found dead in Bhavnagar village
- Leopard attacks pilgrim in Girnar
- 550 crores projects for Gir lions
- Lion kill at Wadal
- Leopard trapped in farmer’s house
- Cheetahs fall ill at Sakkar Baug Zoo in Junagadh, ...
- Lion kills near Visavadar
- In the lion’s den
- ▼ February 2010 (51)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)