Gujarat not interested in tiger-lion swap
Times of India By Himanshu Kaushik
Gujarat is likely to reject outright the proposal of Union minister for forest and environment Jairam Ramesh's offer for tigers in lieu of lions. The main reason why Gujarat is refusing to transfer lions to Madhya Pradesh under a central plan, is the worry that the neighbouring state would walk away with all its tourists who come to Gujarat to see the Asiatic lions in and around Gir.
Over one lakh domestic and international visitors visit Gir and Devalia national park. Officials in the forest department said that Gujarat government had fears that a majority of tourists coming to Gujarat for lion tourism would be diverted to Madhya Pradesh if the lion roams the wild there in Kuno Palpur which has been notified as a sanctuary.
Officials said lions are the pride of Gujarat, the last abode of the Asiatic lions. They fear Madhya Pradesh, which draws more tourists than Gujarat, will be able to attractively package the lions to tourists who come to Khajuraho. MP promotes its tourism quite aggressively while Gujarat has its dry laws as a handicap.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Such crimes need mix of experts to be solved
- Gir poaching case, milestone for forensics
- ‘WILDLIFE LAWS NEED MORE CLAWS’
- Cracking of 2007 lion poaching case
- Not M-P, Gir lions are going to China
- Girl attacked by leopard in Veraval village, serio...
- Two cubs fall in Open Well
- Forest fire in Gir East
- Sasans only vet quits after pay cut
- Leopard caught, sent to Junagadh zoo
- READERS RESPONSE
- Wildlife protection Act needs more fangs
- Gang of 10 poachers behind leopard's death
- Guj rejects Centre's offer to swap lions with tige...
- Gujarat not interested in tiger-lion swap
- Man spent night on three to save himself from lion...
- Lion poaching: Kingpin set free
- Centre offers tigers for Guj’s lions
- High-tech gadgets to be used for tracking lions at...
- Leopard injures three in Talala village
- In fight between two lions
- Young man escaped leopard attack
- Sakkarbag zoo full of “attacking” leopards
- Finally Bhavnath’s Man-eater(?) leopard caught
- 7 peacocks found dead in Amreli village
- Forest officials suspect land sharks behind Victor...
- Baby leopards killed by another leopard
- Leopard kills One at Bhavnath
- Leopard trapped in Ghogha, dies
- Tigers for Lions! Reactions by By: Resp Shri Lavk...
- Forest dept to employ GIS for Asiatic lion census
- Cops on alert, leopard still on prowl
- WHAT ABOUT THE LION REHABILITATION
- State opposes shifting of Gir lions to MP tiger re...
- Leopards rule in the last abode of Asiatic lions
- Move to relocate lions from Gir reserve splits BJP...
- Gujarat opposes transfer of Gir lions
- Lion get young man by neck
- Leopard kills two in Veraval
- Gujarat opposes shifting lion sanctuary to MP tige...
- Boy saved from leopard jaws
- Leopard attacking human always gets life term impr...
- Pride reaches Hamapur near Bagasara
- Leopard found dead in Bhavnagar village
- Leopard attacks pilgrim in Girnar
- 550 crores projects for Gir lions
- Lion kill at Wadal
- Leopard trapped in farmer’s house
- Cheetahs fall ill at Sakkar Baug Zoo in Junagadh, ...
- Lion kills near Visavadar
- In the lion’s den
- ▼ February 2010 (51)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)