Lion poaching: Kingpin set free
Times of India By Saeed Khan
The kingpin in lion poaching cases, Sarkaslal Saharesingh Parghi stood a free man a week ago, as the Gujarat High Court ordered to consider his two separate jail terms concurrently. He was sentenced to three years' imprisonment twice in two different cases in 2008, thus a six-year jail.
But with the high court's decision of treating his sentence concurrently, Parghi got only three years' term, which ended earlier this m o n t h . Parghi and 19 others from Madhya Pradesh were nabbed in April 2007, after six lions were found killed in the Gir National Park and two in Bhavnagar.
They were booked under various sections of the Wildlife Protection Act and the IPC in the Babaria range police station. They did not accept charges, and were tried by a magisterial court in Junagadh. After examining 34 witnesses and relying upon 71 documentary evidences, the JMFC convicted Parghi in two cases awarding him simple imprisonment of three years and fine of Rs 10,000 in each of the cases. Parghi challenged his conviction before a sessions judge, but his appeal was declined in 2009. Then he approached the high court against his conviction as well as the lower court's order to serve two separate jail terms. Justice MD Shah heard his case, wherein his counsel AM Parekh did not press the appeal on merit but contended that the lower court did not order to run all the s e n t e n c e s concurrently. The high court also noticed that the lower court had not properly worded the punishment order, and modified the order holding that the sentences would run concurrently.
The court also noticed that Parghi had stayed in jail for more than three years, and he was entitled to get benefit of set off as per Section 248 of the CrPC. With this order, Parghi who was on bail already, was a free man last week.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Such crimes need mix of experts to be solved
- Gir poaching case, milestone for forensics
- ‘WILDLIFE LAWS NEED MORE CLAWS’
- Cracking of 2007 lion poaching case
- Not M-P, Gir lions are going to China
- Girl attacked by leopard in Veraval village, serio...
- Two cubs fall in Open Well
- Forest fire in Gir East
- Sasans only vet quits after pay cut
- Leopard caught, sent to Junagadh zoo
- READERS RESPONSE
- Wildlife protection Act needs more fangs
- Gang of 10 poachers behind leopard's death
- Guj rejects Centre's offer to swap lions with tige...
- Gujarat not interested in tiger-lion swap
- Man spent night on three to save himself from lion...
- Lion poaching: Kingpin set free
- Centre offers tigers for Guj’s lions
- High-tech gadgets to be used for tracking lions at...
- Leopard injures three in Talala village
- In fight between two lions
- Young man escaped leopard attack
- Sakkarbag zoo full of “attacking” leopards
- Finally Bhavnath’s Man-eater(?) leopard caught
- 7 peacocks found dead in Amreli village
- Forest officials suspect land sharks behind Victor...
- Baby leopards killed by another leopard
- Leopard kills One at Bhavnath
- Leopard trapped in Ghogha, dies
- Tigers for Lions! Reactions by By: Resp Shri Lavk...
- Forest dept to employ GIS for Asiatic lion census
- Cops on alert, leopard still on prowl
- WHAT ABOUT THE LION REHABILITATION
- State opposes shifting of Gir lions to MP tiger re...
- Leopards rule in the last abode of Asiatic lions
- Move to relocate lions from Gir reserve splits BJP...
- Gujarat opposes transfer of Gir lions
- Lion get young man by neck
- Leopard kills two in Veraval
- Gujarat opposes shifting lion sanctuary to MP tige...
- Boy saved from leopard jaws
- Leopard attacking human always gets life term impr...
- Pride reaches Hamapur near Bagasara
- Leopard found dead in Bhavnagar village
- Leopard attacks pilgrim in Girnar
- 550 crores projects for Gir lions
- Lion kill at Wadal
- Leopard trapped in farmer’s house
- Cheetahs fall ill at Sakkar Baug Zoo in Junagadh, ...
- Lion kills near Visavadar
- In the lion’s den
- ▼ February 2010 (51)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)