Saturday, February 13, 2010
Leopard kills two in Veraval
Leopard kills two in Veraval
Times of India
For some strange reason, leopards are on the rampage in Saurashtra and south Gujarat. Two women were killed by a leopard in Veraval taluka of Junagadh district on Tuesday night. Though this was the first incident of its kind, the cats have been frequenting villages and towns as well as terrorising people quite frequently this month leaving forest department officials in a tizzy.
Meanwhile, the back-to-back incidents in Veraval taluka have triggered panic among farm workers. The two deaths occurred in Iswariya village in a span of eight hours. "Both women, hailing from Nandurbar in Maharashtra, were brought on contract to work in sugarcane fields. They were sleeping in makeshift shanties,"said deputy conservator of forests (Junagadh division), Anita Karne.
At 9.30 pm, the leopard attacked Bhanu Pandvi, 35, and dragged her away. People ran after the animal, confronted it and pulled away her body. They rushed her to a hospital where she was declared dead. The animal fled in the meantime.
Even as forest officials rushed to the site, around 4 am news of the second attack came from a nearby area, where 42-year-old Savitaben was the victim. The woman's mutilated body was found in a sugarcane field.
"The forest department has paid Rs 1 lakh as compensation to the next of kin," Karne said. Admitting that this was a rare incident where a leopard has attacked adult humans on purpose, without any confrontation, Karne asserted that the leopard was not a man-eater.
"We come across such attacks on domestic animals often," she said, adding that five cages have been put up in the area and patrolling has been beefed up.
CATFIGHT Man-leopard conflict on the rise in state
Feb 10 | Leopard attacks sleeping devotee in Girnar foothills of Junagadh
Feb 9 | Leopard enters home in Khambha taluka of Amreli, captured
Feb 9 | Leopard enters home in Vaghmara village in Songadh taluka of Tapi, man injured Feb 7 | Leopard caught in snare near Nana Khokhara forest in Bhavnagar
Feb 5 | Leopard found dead in Pardi taluka of Surendranagar, poaching suspected
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Such crimes need mix of experts to be solved
- Gir poaching case, milestone for forensics
- ‘WILDLIFE LAWS NEED MORE CLAWS’
- Cracking of 2007 lion poaching case
- Not M-P, Gir lions are going to China
- Girl attacked by leopard in Veraval village, serio...
- Two cubs fall in Open Well
- Forest fire in Gir East
- Sasans only vet quits after pay cut
- Leopard caught, sent to Junagadh zoo
- READERS RESPONSE
- Wildlife protection Act needs more fangs
- Gang of 10 poachers behind leopard's death
- Guj rejects Centre's offer to swap lions with tige...
- Gujarat not interested in tiger-lion swap
- Man spent night on three to save himself from lion...
- Lion poaching: Kingpin set free
- Centre offers tigers for Guj’s lions
- High-tech gadgets to be used for tracking lions at...
- Leopard injures three in Talala village
- In fight between two lions
- Young man escaped leopard attack
- Sakkarbag zoo full of “attacking” leopards
- Finally Bhavnath’s Man-eater(?) leopard caught
- 7 peacocks found dead in Amreli village
- Forest officials suspect land sharks behind Victor...
- Baby leopards killed by another leopard
- Leopard kills One at Bhavnath
- Leopard trapped in Ghogha, dies
- Tigers for Lions! Reactions by By: Resp Shri Lavk...
- Forest dept to employ GIS for Asiatic lion census
- Cops on alert, leopard still on prowl
- WHAT ABOUT THE LION REHABILITATION
- State opposes shifting of Gir lions to MP tiger re...
- Leopards rule in the last abode of Asiatic lions
- Move to relocate lions from Gir reserve splits BJP...
- Gujarat opposes transfer of Gir lions
- Lion get young man by neck
- Leopard kills two in Veraval
- Gujarat opposes shifting lion sanctuary to MP tige...
- Boy saved from leopard jaws
- Leopard attacking human always gets life term impr...
- Pride reaches Hamapur near Bagasara
- Leopard found dead in Bhavnagar village
- Leopard attacks pilgrim in Girnar
- 550 crores projects for Gir lions
- Lion kill at Wadal
- Leopard trapped in farmer’s house
- Cheetahs fall ill at Sakkar Baug Zoo in Junagadh, ...
- Lion kills near Visavadar
- In the lion’s den
- ▼ February 2010 (51)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)