Leopards rule in the last abode of Asiatic lions
Indian Express By Hiral Dave
It is known as the last abode of Asiatic Lions. But the most common big cat that can be seen in the Gir Wildlife Sanctuary in Junagadh and its periphery is leopard.
Shrinking habitat coupled with increasing population of leopard has led to increase in human-animal conflict of late in the area. The most recent incident occurred this Wednesday when two women were killed by a big cat in the coastal area of Veraval.
In another incident reported the same day, a 15-year-old boy was injured by a leopard at Godhara village in Porbandar district. In the recent past, forest officials have been pressed into service on a quite a few occasions either to aid an injured one or trap those that had come close to human habitat.
According to officials at the Sakkarbaug Zoo, on an average, two leopards are brought to the zoo every week after being caught in revenue areas, often injured and sometimes following conflict with humans. Although the zoo is promoted as the breeding centre of Asiatic lions, the number of leopard here stands at 40 against 20 lions.
A top forest official said: "Lions also wander in search of food, but leopard, which is an opportunist hunter, prefers wait for prey. This increases chances of human and leopard conflict." These big cats generally hide in sugarcane farms and mango farms for days, the official added.
Conservator of forest M M Sharma said the leopard population is increasing due to the efforts of the government and support of the people. He said that "sometimes these conflicts are inevitable", but this does not mean that such incidents are on the rise. The zoo authorities said that 10 out of the total 40 leopards housed there presently have tested human blood.
The leopard population stood at 155 when the first census was done in the Gir in 1974. In 2000, their population was 311, which increased to 380 in the last census done in 2005.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Such crimes need mix of experts to be solved
- Gir poaching case, milestone for forensics
- ‘WILDLIFE LAWS NEED MORE CLAWS’
- Cracking of 2007 lion poaching case
- Not M-P, Gir lions are going to China
- Girl attacked by leopard in Veraval village, serio...
- Two cubs fall in Open Well
- Forest fire in Gir East
- Sasans only vet quits after pay cut
- Leopard caught, sent to Junagadh zoo
- READERS RESPONSE
- Wildlife protection Act needs more fangs
- Gang of 10 poachers behind leopard's death
- Guj rejects Centre's offer to swap lions with tige...
- Gujarat not interested in tiger-lion swap
- Man spent night on three to save himself from lion...
- Lion poaching: Kingpin set free
- Centre offers tigers for Guj’s lions
- High-tech gadgets to be used for tracking lions at...
- Leopard injures three in Talala village
- In fight between two lions
- Young man escaped leopard attack
- Sakkarbag zoo full of “attacking” leopards
- Finally Bhavnath’s Man-eater(?) leopard caught
- 7 peacocks found dead in Amreli village
- Forest officials suspect land sharks behind Victor...
- Baby leopards killed by another leopard
- Leopard kills One at Bhavnath
- Leopard trapped in Ghogha, dies
- Tigers for Lions! Reactions by By: Resp Shri Lavk...
- Forest dept to employ GIS for Asiatic lion census
- Cops on alert, leopard still on prowl
- WHAT ABOUT THE LION REHABILITATION
- State opposes shifting of Gir lions to MP tiger re...
- Leopards rule in the last abode of Asiatic lions
- Move to relocate lions from Gir reserve splits BJP...
- Gujarat opposes transfer of Gir lions
- Lion get young man by neck
- Leopard kills two in Veraval
- Gujarat opposes shifting lion sanctuary to MP tige...
- Boy saved from leopard jaws
- Leopard attacking human always gets life term impr...
- Pride reaches Hamapur near Bagasara
- Leopard found dead in Bhavnagar village
- Leopard attacks pilgrim in Girnar
- 550 crores projects for Gir lions
- Lion kill at Wadal
- Leopard trapped in farmer’s house
- Cheetahs fall ill at Sakkar Baug Zoo in Junagadh, ...
- Lion kills near Visavadar
- In the lion’s den
- ▼ February 2010 (51)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)