Leopard rescued from Junagadh well
Times of India
A leopard was rescued from a farmer's well in Vanthali in Junagadh district on Saturday at noon. The big cat was tranquilized and pulled out of the well with a rope.
The well was not open, but its parapet was not more than one-and-a-half-ft high. The animal might have fallen into the well at night. According to the district forest officer (DFO) of social forestry J P Vasava, the leopard was rescued by a Sakkarbaug Zoo team and the forest department.
In the morning, a farmer from Vanthali reported to the forest department that a leopard had fallen into a well on his farm on Manavadar Road. Vasava immediately informed Sakkarbaug Zoo authorities and a team was sent to the farm.
As a large number of villagers had gathered, Vanthali police were called in to disperse the crowd.
Vasava said the cat was around nine-years-old. It has been sent to the zoo and after a proper check-up, it will be set free in the jungle.
As per an animal census done in 2001, there were 311 leopards in the Gir forest area. Man animal conflicts are not new in this area. On September 26, a leopard attacked the nine-year-old daughter of a farm labourer in Ramgarh village in Savarkundla taluka of Amreli district. Surprisingly, six months ago leopards were seen in Vasavad and Gondal area of Rajkot district.
- ► 2017 (107)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Senior Research Fellow
- Endangered Asian Lions Were Successfully Bred at N...
- State Forest dept bags national environment award
- Lioness mauls forest officer
- In dark night Man hits lion…
- Spotted Deer Spotted in Dhari Market Area
- Leopard dies in road accident
- Leopardess mauls sleeping man, caged
- Lion cub rescued from open well in Rajula
- MP hasn’t given up yet
- After Guj denial, MP gets zoo-bred lions
- Leopard attacks labour at Patapar village near Una...
- Cattle Killing by Lions
- MP says Kuno Palpu sanctuary can house 60 Asiatic ...
- IBM to help create 'Little Africa' in Gujarat
- Two leopards caught, hunt on for third
- Leopard caught from Bhavnagar village
- Gir lions to wear a chip under their skin
- Lion kills another for Jungle Raj in Mahuva
- Forest without public but with lots of Garbage aft...
- Leopard rescued from Junagadh well
- 6.19 lacs (almost three quarter millions) tourist ...
- Three lions seen on Parikrama route
- Sambar stampeds tourists in Parikrama
- GenNext gung-ho about Girnar Parikrama
- Parikrama draws thousands in Rajkot
- Mayor, deputy mayor booked under Arms act
- ▼ November 2009 (27)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)