Leopard caught from Bhavnagar village
Times of India
The leopard that had been thwarting forest department's attempt to trap it for the past three days was finally captured from Sanosara village of Sihor taluka on Friday.
According to forest officials, the leopard was sighted on Wednesday morning by a farm labourer who alerted the forest department. "Woman Jaya Jamod, who was working in a farm of the village spotted the leopard and informed us. A cage was set up with a live bait of goat inside. However, the big cat did not show interest in it and kept evading us for two nights," said a forester.
Meanwhile, foresters observing the cage sighted the leopard on Friday afternoon. "As the leopard was approaching towards the cage, one of the officials fired an injectable dart from his rifle, which had a tranquillising effect within a few minutes on the big cat. We carried the leopard to Sasan, where we plan to release it in the Gir Wildlife Sanctuary," the forester added.
The leopard is believed to have entered the village after crossing Shetrunji mountain range.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Senior Research Fellow
- Endangered Asian Lions Were Successfully Bred at N...
- State Forest dept bags national environment award
- Lioness mauls forest officer
- In dark night Man hits lion…
- Spotted Deer Spotted in Dhari Market Area
- Leopard dies in road accident
- Leopardess mauls sleeping man, caged
- Lion cub rescued from open well in Rajula
- MP hasn’t given up yet
- After Guj denial, MP gets zoo-bred lions
- Leopard attacks labour at Patapar village near Una...
- Cattle Killing by Lions
- MP says Kuno Palpu sanctuary can house 60 Asiatic ...
- IBM to help create 'Little Africa' in Gujarat
- Two leopards caught, hunt on for third
- Leopard caught from Bhavnagar village
- Gir lions to wear a chip under their skin
- Lion kills another for Jungle Raj in Mahuva
- Forest without public but with lots of Garbage aft...
- Leopard rescued from Junagadh well
- 6.19 lacs (almost three quarter millions) tourist ...
- Three lions seen on Parikrama route
- Sambar stampeds tourists in Parikrama
- GenNext gung-ho about Girnar Parikrama
- Parikrama draws thousands in Rajkot
- Mayor, deputy mayor booked under Arms act
- ▼ November 2009 (27)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)