Lion to get more land near Wankaner
Times of India
The state government, for the first time, came out in the open in the state assembly regarding its opposition to shifting of Asiatic lions from Gir to Madhya Pradesh.
The government in reply to the question asked by MLA of Karjan Chandu Dabhi said on Tuesday that for conservation of the lions, the government has identified a land near Wankaner near Rajkot.
The government has said that as part of the long-term conservation programme, it has identified this piece of land and has taken up the afforestation along with conservation plans in the area. Drinking water facilities have also been planned and check dams constructed for this purpose.
Further in reply to Jodia MLA Raghavji Patel's question, the state government said Central government has also in Supreme Court forwarded an opinion favouring shifting of lions to Madhya Pradesh.
The government added that SC has directed the standing committee of National Wildlife Advisory Board to discuss the issue and Central government based on the recommendation of this standing committee has forwarded its proposal to SC favouring the transfer of lions.
In the reply, government stated that it has opposed this move in the Supreme Court and even before the standing committee.
Moreover, while replying to third question related to lions, the government said that for the conservation of lions, it has constructed 29 speed-breakers between Mendarda and Talala. According to government, they have been constructed keeping in view the safety of the lions and also under the powers given to the officials under Wildlife protection act, 1972. Officials added that they had received representation to remove these speed-breakers.
Essar encroachment case: Govt mulling action against four forest officials
The state government is contemplating initiating legal action against four government officials for their involvement in four incidents of forest land encroachment by the Essar company. The government in reply to a question asked by Kalupur MLA Mohammed Farooq Shaikh said that the deputy conservator of forest in Vyara has filed four cases against the company under the Indian Forest Act 1927. The DCF has registered four cases between January 19, 2007 to October 30, 2007. Government said that Essar Steel had started construction of factory on forest land in Hazira village which had been stopped by the forest department. In another case, the company had allegedly carried out cleaning and had even fenced the same area which was also stopped by the forest department.
On February 6, 2007, a third case was registered against the company for carrying out illegal construction on the area. The fourth case, which was registered on October 30, 2007, was also about encroachment in the forest land. The government has said that in all four officials, including two range forest officials (survey) and surveyors each were found to be involved in the incident and the government has sought legal opinion on taking action against the officials.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Trapped in cement slab, leopard rescued after 20 d...
- 12th leopard caught from Veraval
- Leopard kills girl near Khambha
- Carcass of leopard found at Chhara
- Governor of Gujarat visits Gir
- Claims for forest land shall be verified by satell...
- Feasibility of Tiger in Gujarat being studies
- 48 crores grant from central Govt. for Lion conser...
- Lion death: Three remanded to 1-day custody
- 116 lions died in Gir forest in last three years: ...
- 116 lions died in Gir forest in the last three yea...
- 116 lions died in Gir forest in the last three yea...
- Another carcass found in Babariya range
- Head injuries killed lion: Postmortem
- Lion census in Gir sanctuary from April 24
- Foresters say lion was killed in self-defence
- Lion killed after attacking 7 persons in Ahmedabad...
- Gir villagers kill lion in self-defence
- Leopard attacks girl in a Veraval village
- Lion axed to death near Gir
- Leopard carcass found at 5 kms from Dhari
- Carcass of lion found in Babariya Range
- Girnar ropeway project unites Congress, BJP
- Gujarat's Girnar ropeway project to start next yea...
- Lion attacks on humans, cattle on rise
- Ambardi to be second lion safari
- Leopard that could not be caged got caught in mach...
- Twelve leopards caught in two months; Total 1000 l...
- Gir lions thrive but tigers get lion's share of Ce...
- Census, protection and conservation of Asiatic Lio...
- Leopard terror in Iswariya continues, five attacke...
- One lion injured in internal fight
- Cow saves three from Leopard attack
- One more leopard caught in Ishwariya
- Lions of Gir, India's most endangered big cat: rep...
- Another leopard caged in Ishwariya village
- 20 Asiatic lions die in Gir forest
- Fourth leopard caught from Iswariya village
- Are lions Gujarat’s immoveable property?
- Leopard that killed two identified, gets ‘lifer’
- In 2 years, 72 lions die in Gir sanctuary
- 72 lions died in Gir in last two years: Gujarat Go...
- Local villager near Jafrabad scared of 25 lions an...
- Leopard caged in Junagadh village
- Two injured Lions roaming in Patla area
- A royal secret to the jungle king’s long life
- Special efforts made to preserve lion gene pool
- TIGERS IN DANGS BUT WHERE IS THE PREY BASE?
- Long-term conservation of Asiatic Lion in Greater ...
- Gujarat wants Asiatic lion to roar
- Lion to get more land near Wankaner
- 2 more leopards spotted near Ishwariya village
- Leopard killed in territorial infighting in Junaga...
- In Gir Jungle Lions are named after famous person
- Lion attacks young man at Halariya Leopard attack ...
- 14 incidence of lion-leopard attack in six months ...
- Four lions attack a farmer
- Gujarat saved India's pride
- Leopard falls into Open Well
- Plan for consolidating long-term conservation of A...
- ▼ March 2010 (60)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)