In Gir Jungle Lions are named after famous person
Briefly translated from Gujarati
In Gir Jungle beloved Gir lions are named by local people and forest staff according to their habits, nature, physical looks, age, expressions etc. although lions internally do not recognize other lions by names, they recognize by smell and colour. But when man calls a particular lion by his particular name he responds! This is an age-old culture of man-animal relationship in Gir.
Bandi(tail-cut), Zabo, Kadiya (e), Ekamal(Lone), Tadka, Buddho (Oldie), Subahu, Ramdas, Tiliyo (Spot forehead), Panchanand etc. are names of lions living in Gir. There is an amazing story behind naming each lion.
There is a lone (nomad) lion in Sapness area and he is named Ekamal (Nomad). When two local Maldharis meet, one would warm another saying take care, Ekamal is sitting in front. Forest staff also use this nomenclature with local maldharis to locate particular animal.
An another big male in the same Sapness area has grown old and he is named 'Budhodho' (Oldie). One lion near Mohvel village near Dhari has got 'Zatho' alias 'Zablo' name. its about 15 years old. Whereas an adult lioness has tail cut so she is named as 'Bandi' (cut-tail).
There was an furious lioness living near Tulsi Shyam area. When ever it show human beings it will get angry and start raising her tail. She had also attacked two people. So she was named "Fulandevi" (famous Indian lady decoit). In the same area a there was a pair of male-female who acted like mad. They were always running after each other and playing. So they were named 'Gandu Belad' (Mad-couple).
There was a lioness a lioness near Vadaliya Hanuman Asharam. She was little fair skin. She was named 'Dhobi-Sinhan' (washer-woman).
One Bajariya Bapu (saint) lived in Ashram in between Kankai and Satadhar forest area. A lioness that lived in that area was furious by nature. So she was named 'Tadka' (Hindu demon character). Bajariya bapu had named her this way. It is said that lions obeyed what Bajariya Bajariya Bapu said. There was another strong male lion in the area. Bapu had name him as 'Subahu'.
One lion had dark spot on its fore-head. He was called 'Tiliyo' (just like Tilak that Indians do on their forehead). Two male adult lions like brothers in Dhari Rural area. So they were name Bhim – Arjun (Indian religious characters). One another male lion would hunt pouncing his all four legs and fifth one his mouth. So people named him 'Pachanand' (using five parts). One lion was darker in colour nad was named 'Kaliyo' (Blackie).
Just like individual names, local people and forest staff name lion prides also depending on no. of members. One such pride had nine lions and was named Navnath'. One pride of Seven lioness anytime and suddenly attacked its domestic and wild prey. People named the pride after famous cone-group as 'Satnari' (Seven women). One pride had five lions hence 'Panchnath'. Isn't this fascinating!
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Trapped in cement slab, leopard rescued after 20 d...
- 12th leopard caught from Veraval
- Leopard kills girl near Khambha
- Carcass of leopard found at Chhara
- Governor of Gujarat visits Gir
- Claims for forest land shall be verified by satell...
- Feasibility of Tiger in Gujarat being studies
- 48 crores grant from central Govt. for Lion conser...
- Lion death: Three remanded to 1-day custody
- 116 lions died in Gir forest in last three years: ...
- 116 lions died in Gir forest in the last three yea...
- 116 lions died in Gir forest in the last three yea...
- Another carcass found in Babariya range
- Head injuries killed lion: Postmortem
- Lion census in Gir sanctuary from April 24
- Foresters say lion was killed in self-defence
- Lion killed after attacking 7 persons in Ahmedabad...
- Gir villagers kill lion in self-defence
- Leopard attacks girl in a Veraval village
- Lion axed to death near Gir
- Leopard carcass found at 5 kms from Dhari
- Carcass of lion found in Babariya Range
- Girnar ropeway project unites Congress, BJP
- Gujarat's Girnar ropeway project to start next yea...
- Lion attacks on humans, cattle on rise
- Ambardi to be second lion safari
- Leopard that could not be caged got caught in mach...
- Twelve leopards caught in two months; Total 1000 l...
- Gir lions thrive but tigers get lion's share of Ce...
- Census, protection and conservation of Asiatic Lio...
- Leopard terror in Iswariya continues, five attacke...
- One lion injured in internal fight
- Cow saves three from Leopard attack
- One more leopard caught in Ishwariya
- Lions of Gir, India's most endangered big cat: rep...
- Another leopard caged in Ishwariya village
- 20 Asiatic lions die in Gir forest
- Fourth leopard caught from Iswariya village
- Are lions Gujarat’s immoveable property?
- Leopard that killed two identified, gets ‘lifer’
- In 2 years, 72 lions die in Gir sanctuary
- 72 lions died in Gir in last two years: Gujarat Go...
- Local villager near Jafrabad scared of 25 lions an...
- Leopard caged in Junagadh village
- Two injured Lions roaming in Patla area
- A royal secret to the jungle king’s long life
- Special efforts made to preserve lion gene pool
- TIGERS IN DANGS BUT WHERE IS THE PREY BASE?
- Long-term conservation of Asiatic Lion in Greater ...
- Gujarat wants Asiatic lion to roar
- Lion to get more land near Wankaner
- 2 more leopards spotted near Ishwariya village
- Leopard killed in territorial infighting in Junaga...
- In Gir Jungle Lions are named after famous person
- Lion attacks young man at Halariya Leopard attack ...
- 14 incidence of lion-leopard attack in six months ...
- Four lions attack a farmer
- Gujarat saved India's pride
- Leopard falls into Open Well
- Plan for consolidating long-term conservation of A...
- ▼ March 2010 (60)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)