Gir villagers kill lion in self-defence
An Asiatic lion was killed on Monday by villagers in Junagadh district who claimed that it had attacked and injured seven people.
The forest department has registered a case under the Wildlife Act against three unidentified persons from Chorwadi village. The village falls under the Girnar range in outer Gir Wildlife Sanctuary area, the last home of the Asiatic lions. All the seven injured have been admitted at the Junagadh Civil Hospital. The forest department is in the process of identifying the people who killed the lion.
"The lion's body was found from the Girnar range, on the fringes of which three villages — Chorwadi, Nawagam and Mandalpur — are located. The lion was hit by an axe on the head. It was a male lion, aged around three-four years," said Assistant Conservator of Forest P S Babariya.
Foresters say lion was killed in self-defence
An asiatic lion found dead near the Gir Range periphery was possibly killed in self-defence, forest officers have said.
Assistant Conservator of Forest P S Babariya said: "The lion's body was found near the periphery of the Girnar Range, on the outskirts of Chorwadi, Nawagam and Mandalpur villages. The lion was aged around 3-4 years and was hit on the head with an axe."
Girnar Range — some 70 km from the Gir Wildlife Sanctuary — is home to some 30 lions as per the last census of 2005. Gujarat has a population of 350 lions including those living in the Girnar Range and the sanctuary. People living in the periphery of the sanctuary are also known for their commitment to lion preservation.
Forest officers said the lion had reportedly wounded seven people (including a forest guard) from Chorwadi, Nawagam and Mandalpar villages, who have been admitted to the Junagadh Civil Hospital.
According to hospital records, the injured are Chorwadi vice sarpanch Mahesh Baldania (30), Gopa Mor (72), Forest Guard Parbat Gharsaeda (50), Chandu Chovatia (45), Salim Khayam, Abdul Pathan and Mohammad Pathan.
According to reports, there were a total of three attacks on humans from a lion pride that had ventured into the outskirts. Baldania and Mor were reportedly attacked by a lioness, while Gharsaeda and Chovatia were wounded by a lion. Khayam and the two Pathans were injured by a lion.
Forest officers said the lion was possibly killed between 10.30 pm and 12.30 am, adding that the men were probably woodcutters, carrying an axe.
Babariya said: "The claws have been found intact. It is clear that the lion was killed in self-defence. It is not a case of poaching." He added: "The big cat probably died of haemorrhage. The body has been sent for post-mortem to the Sakkarbaug Zoo in Junagadh city."
The Forest Department has registered a case under the Wildlife Act, 1972 against three unidentified persons. Babariya said the Forest Department is yet to confirm the names of the injured and those who killed the lion, adding that the last three names entered in the hospital register are the suspects.
- ► 2017 (154)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Trapped in cement slab, leopard rescued after 20 d...
- 12th leopard caught from Veraval
- Leopard kills girl near Khambha
- Carcass of leopard found at Chhara
- Governor of Gujarat visits Gir
- Claims for forest land shall be verified by satell...
- Feasibility of Tiger in Gujarat being studies
- 48 crores grant from central Govt. for Lion conser...
- Lion death: Three remanded to 1-day custody
- 116 lions died in Gir forest in last three years: ...
- 116 lions died in Gir forest in the last three yea...
- 116 lions died in Gir forest in the last three yea...
- Another carcass found in Babariya range
- Head injuries killed lion: Postmortem
- Lion census in Gir sanctuary from April 24
- Foresters say lion was killed in self-defence
- Lion killed after attacking 7 persons in Ahmedabad...
- Gir villagers kill lion in self-defence
- Leopard attacks girl in a Veraval village
- Lion axed to death near Gir
- Leopard carcass found at 5 kms from Dhari
- Carcass of lion found in Babariya Range
- Girnar ropeway project unites Congress, BJP
- Gujarat's Girnar ropeway project to start next yea...
- Lion attacks on humans, cattle on rise
- Ambardi to be second lion safari
- Leopard that could not be caged got caught in mach...
- Twelve leopards caught in two months; Total 1000 l...
- Gir lions thrive but tigers get lion's share of Ce...
- Census, protection and conservation of Asiatic Lio...
- Leopard terror in Iswariya continues, five attacke...
- One lion injured in internal fight
- Cow saves three from Leopard attack
- One more leopard caught in Ishwariya
- Lions of Gir, India's most endangered big cat: rep...
- Another leopard caged in Ishwariya village
- 20 Asiatic lions die in Gir forest
- Fourth leopard caught from Iswariya village
- Are lions Gujarat’s immoveable property?
- Leopard that killed two identified, gets ‘lifer’
- In 2 years, 72 lions die in Gir sanctuary
- 72 lions died in Gir in last two years: Gujarat Go...
- Local villager near Jafrabad scared of 25 lions an...
- Leopard caged in Junagadh village
- Two injured Lions roaming in Patla area
- A royal secret to the jungle king’s long life
- Special efforts made to preserve lion gene pool
- TIGERS IN DANGS BUT WHERE IS THE PREY BASE?
- Long-term conservation of Asiatic Lion in Greater ...
- Gujarat wants Asiatic lion to roar
- Lion to get more land near Wankaner
- 2 more leopards spotted near Ishwariya village
- Leopard killed in territorial infighting in Junaga...
- In Gir Jungle Lions are named after famous person
- Lion attacks young man at Halariya Leopard attack ...
- 14 incidence of lion-leopard attack in six months ...
- Four lions attack a farmer
- Gujarat saved India's pride
- Leopard falls into Open Well
- Plan for consolidating long-term conservation of A...
- ▼ March 2010 (60)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)