Seized lion claws fake, say police
Lion paws and claws seized from two locals on January 8 have turned out to be fake, the Amreli police have said.
The Savarkundla police had seized two paws with nine claws in a sting operation. The operation had hinted at the existence of a lion poaching racket in the Gir sanctuary, the last abode of the Asiatic Lion.
Preliminary examination by the police and forest departments has, however, revealed the items to be fake, but the police are, nevertheless, waiting for the forensic reports.
A police team led by Savarkundla DySP J Thakkar had arrested Allarakha Bhiku (35) and Dhiru Khatrani (32) and seized the lion claws from their possession. Khatrani reportedly told the police that he bought the paws at Rs 600 in Karnataka, where he used to run a food joint until sometime ago.
On Friday evening, the accused had allegedly demanded Rs 2.5 lakh for the nine claws. There were two paws: one with four claws and another with five. As soon as they displayed the items, the police arrested them.
The police and the forest departments were put on an alert following the arrest. No carcass has been found yet, but a fresh poaching cannot be ruled out either, said the police.
Poaching was first reported in Gir in 2004, when as many as nine lions were killed, allegedly by members of a poaching gang from Madhya Pradesh.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Leopard attacks a child
- ‘Centre did not consult state on lion shifting’
- Lion cub’s carcass found in Visavadar range
- Lion census in April, to cover 4 districts
- Is Gujarat serious about keeping the lion’s share?...
- Lion transfer will be big blow to Gujarat tourism
- Lion safari at Ambardi too
- Forest officials’ expertise to be considered befor...
- Few foresters in Gir know wildlife nitty-gritty: s...
- ‘70 per cent of Corbett resorts host weddings, rac...
- Lions for Kuno: MP reiterates demand for Gir’s wil...
- SC asks why Guj isn’t giving lions to MP
- 5 nabbed from Barda Wildlife Sanctuary while cooki...
- Girl, labourer survive separate leopard attacks in...
- Leopard attacks girl child
- Seized lion claws fake, say police
- Buffalo killed by lions in Bhavnath area
- Govt yet to act on poaching incidents
- Police set decoy, seize pair of lion' paws
- Intel says Poachers on the prowl in Gir again
- Lioness attacks farm labour
- Two caught with Lion paws
- Forest Department frontline staff trained for more...
- ‘MP sanctuary ideal for Gir lions, but not for tho...
- Forest department grabs truck with illegal wood
- 50 Gir lions to get GPS collars Wild Cats Between ...
- Forest department shot four dogs
- Lion dies of old age, leopard's death still myster...
- MP ready to welcome lions, Gujarat in no mood to a...
- Leopard trapped in snare, dies
- Relocation of families from revenue villages of Ku...
- ▼ January 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)