Girl, labourer survive separate leopard attacks in Junagadh dist
Times of India
A seven-year-old girl from Jeerani village of Dhari taluka of Junagadh was grievously hurt in a leopard attack on Tuesday night.
According to sources in the village, Vaghu Chorala and his family were working in a field on Tuesday evening when the incident happened. His daughter Sonal was fixing the pipes among the standing cotton crops when a leopard jumped out from behind the crops and attacked her. Sonal's elder sister, who was also standing nearby, starting screaming which scared the wild cat away.
However, the little girl suffered severe head injuries and was rushed to Amreli's government hospital, where she is in a serious condition, doctors said.
Earlier on Monday, a labourer was attacked by a leopard while working in a sugarcane field in Surva village of Talala taluka on Monday. Kalusing Pandvi, 35, survived the attack, as his coworkers managed to shoo away the big cat.
According to the forest department, the incident occurred early on Monday morning when Pandvi was sleeping in the fields. "The leopard, which had apparently made its abode in the camouflage of sugarcanes, sprang upon Pandvi and started dragging him towards the forest. However, hearing his cries, other labourers rushed to his rescue and seeing them, the leopard left Pandvi and vanished in the darkness," said a forester.
- ► 2017 (112)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Leopard attacks a child
- ‘Centre did not consult state on lion shifting’
- Lion cub’s carcass found in Visavadar range
- Lion census in April, to cover 4 districts
- Is Gujarat serious about keeping the lion’s share?...
- Lion transfer will be big blow to Gujarat tourism
- Lion safari at Ambardi too
- Forest officials’ expertise to be considered befor...
- Few foresters in Gir know wildlife nitty-gritty: s...
- ‘70 per cent of Corbett resorts host weddings, rac...
- Lions for Kuno: MP reiterates demand for Gir’s wil...
- SC asks why Guj isn’t giving lions to MP
- 5 nabbed from Barda Wildlife Sanctuary while cooki...
- Girl, labourer survive separate leopard attacks in...
- Leopard attacks girl child
- Seized lion claws fake, say police
- Buffalo killed by lions in Bhavnath area
- Govt yet to act on poaching incidents
- Police set decoy, seize pair of lion' paws
- Intel says Poachers on the prowl in Gir again
- Lioness attacks farm labour
- Two caught with Lion paws
- Forest Department frontline staff trained for more...
- ‘MP sanctuary ideal for Gir lions, but not for tho...
- Forest department grabs truck with illegal wood
- 50 Gir lions to get GPS collars Wild Cats Between ...
- Forest department shot four dogs
- Lion dies of old age, leopard's death still myster...
- MP ready to welcome lions, Gujarat in no mood to a...
- Leopard trapped in snare, dies
- Relocation of families from revenue villages of Ku...
- ▼ January 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)