Govt yet to act on poaching incidents
Times of India
Even after three years of poaching, the government is yet to react and take stern actions to curb poaching. The suspect poachers may have been nabbed, but the recommendations of the task force which was formed soon after the poaching incidents of 2007, were accepted only recently by the forest department.
The government had even announced a fund of Rs 40 crore to be spent on lion conservation of which only 50 per cent has been disbursed. Officials said that it is fortunate that no major poaching has been reported in Gir region. But sporadic incidents have been reported in the region.
He said that last year three persons from Amreli were arrested after they had electrocuted three lions and had buried them in the field. In another two incidents one trap was laid in Una while another lion was electrocuted in the same area. All these incidents were not termed as poaching.
Officials said the government is now in the process of issuing tenders for the various items which have been recommended by the task force for the conservation of lions.
HOW FAKE LION PAWS ARE MADE
Those involved in the trade, use hooves of dead camels or dog and horn of a buffalo or deer to give it the look of the claw. They use pelt of the deer to give it a natural look. In the past, one such incident was reported in Gir where the officials had found this fake paw. In this incident, the camel paw was used with horn of buffalo.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Leopard attacks a child
- ‘Centre did not consult state on lion shifting’
- Lion cub’s carcass found in Visavadar range
- Lion census in April, to cover 4 districts
- Is Gujarat serious about keeping the lion’s share?...
- Lion transfer will be big blow to Gujarat tourism
- Lion safari at Ambardi too
- Forest officials’ expertise to be considered befor...
- Few foresters in Gir know wildlife nitty-gritty: s...
- ‘70 per cent of Corbett resorts host weddings, rac...
- Lions for Kuno: MP reiterates demand for Gir’s wil...
- SC asks why Guj isn’t giving lions to MP
- 5 nabbed from Barda Wildlife Sanctuary while cooki...
- Girl, labourer survive separate leopard attacks in...
- Leopard attacks girl child
- Seized lion claws fake, say police
- Buffalo killed by lions in Bhavnath area
- Govt yet to act on poaching incidents
- Police set decoy, seize pair of lion' paws
- Intel says Poachers on the prowl in Gir again
- Lioness attacks farm labour
- Two caught with Lion paws
- Forest Department frontline staff trained for more...
- ‘MP sanctuary ideal for Gir lions, but not for tho...
- Forest department grabs truck with illegal wood
- 50 Gir lions to get GPS collars Wild Cats Between ...
- Forest department shot four dogs
- Lion dies of old age, leopard's death still myster...
- MP ready to welcome lions, Gujarat in no mood to a...
- Leopard trapped in snare, dies
- Relocation of families from revenue villages of Ku...
- ▼ January 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)