Poachers again in Gir?
Briefly translated from Gujarati
Eight Asiatic Lions were poached in Gir in March-Apr 2007. again it seems they are active in the region.
Two days before a lion cub was trapped in the clutch – wire trap laid by unknown people at Mandor village area of Veraval Sub-district in Gir West. Due to alertness of local villagers and the forest staff the cub was immediately rescued with little injury. It was taken for treatment and will be released with its own pride in two days.
This has made everyone to doubt and worry about poachers again being active in the region.
The place where trap was laid belongs to coastal bell of Gir where about 15 lions are residing. 70% of this belt is revenue area (non-forest land) and there area more than 10 different roads going out of this area (for safe exit). Forest Dept. has started severe combing in 12 villages of this area including Savani, Dari, & Sutrapada coastal belt. Sarcastically in such a situation, Five RFO, twenty foresters, Two ACFS (Jamwala & Sasan) and on CF (Normal) posts are vacant in the area.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Cattle Killing by Lions
- Kings run for life; Train accident prevented
- Kishore Kotecha Reports – WCT educational activiti...
- Lion attacks two, farmers in a panic
- Lions terrorize residents in Dhari
- Leopard kills boy in Amreli
- Night Parade by three lions in Girnar Taleti area
- Now it is Wild Boar attack in Gir farmers
- Underpaid van sahayaks a threat to lions?
- Angry mob injures beat guards in Gir
- Leopard attacks 11 year old
- MP asks Centre to direct Gujarat for relocating As...
- Rare Indian lion cubs born in London zoo
- Lion cubs make first appearance
- Poachers again in Gir?
- Mob attack home of forest officer
- Direct Gujarat to share lions, MP to Centre
- Forest department to hardsell Guj’s ‘pride’
- Leopard in the house
- Centre has given lion conservation a short shrift:...
- Centre for introduction of tigers in Gujarat; stat...
- Rajya Sabha
- No lion’s share from Centre
- Hundred more Maldhari families to move out of Gir
- Lion Cub Found
- Lioness attacks young man
- Funds for Kuno wildlife sanctuaries in Madhya Prad...
- ▼ August 2009 (27)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)