MP asks Centre to direct Gujarat for relocating Asiatic Lions
Times of India
Asking the Centre to intervene in the long pending matter of relocation of Asiatic Lions from Gujarat to the state, Madhya Pradesh government sought release of funds to set up breeding centres for the wild cat.
"All preparations for relocation of the Asiatic Lions had been completed in 2005 only... However, these Lions have not been received from Gir Sanctuary of Gujarat," Madhya Pradesh Minister for Forest Rajendra Shukla said at the national conference of state ministers of environment and forests here.
He said, as an alternative arrangement the Centre had proposed that the project be taken forward through Asiatic Lions bred in Zoos.
"Central Zoo Authority had sanctioned over Rs 71 lakh for establishment of breeding center for Asiatic Lions in Palpur-Kuno sanctuary in 2008-09. The same has not been received till now," Shukla said.
The Minister requested immediate release of this amount and to transfer zoo bred Asiatic Lions.
He also urged the Centre to define "forest" clearly as there were difficulties being faced by the states due to the definition of forests given by the Supreme Court.
Only those areas may be considered as forests that are notified under the Indian (Forest) Act, 1927. According to the definition given by Supreme Court, all such areas that are recorded as any type of forest under any government record have been defined as forests, he said.
- ► 2018 (74)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Cattle Killing by Lions
- Kings run for life; Train accident prevented
- Kishore Kotecha Reports – WCT educational activiti...
- Lion attacks two, farmers in a panic
- Lions terrorize residents in Dhari
- Leopard kills boy in Amreli
- Night Parade by three lions in Girnar Taleti area
- Now it is Wild Boar attack in Gir farmers
- Underpaid van sahayaks a threat to lions?
- Angry mob injures beat guards in Gir
- Leopard attacks 11 year old
- MP asks Centre to direct Gujarat for relocating As...
- Rare Indian lion cubs born in London zoo
- Lion cubs make first appearance
- Poachers again in Gir?
- Mob attack home of forest officer
- Direct Gujarat to share lions, MP to Centre
- Forest department to hardsell Guj’s ‘pride’
- Leopard in the house
- Centre has given lion conservation a short shrift:...
- Centre for introduction of tigers in Gujarat; stat...
- Rajya Sabha
- No lion’s share from Centre
- Hundred more Maldhari families to move out of Gir
- Lion Cub Found
- Lioness attacks young man
- Funds for Kuno wildlife sanctuaries in Madhya Prad...
- ▼ August 2009 (27)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)